• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Annecy in Motion - 4K - Timelapse/Hyperlapse

#11 yannick_c
Hi panoramia,

I assume you are talking about circular hyperlapses (for normal hyperlapses like fixed point and only a translation move, the warp stabilizer works very well). For the circular one in my video, I used quite the same technique as you to stabilize it. If the automatic stabilization (with the tracker) for position, rotation, or scale fails, here is how I've done it manually :

- I first stabilize manualy the X and Y position on the top of the statue. It's important to have a fixed point and not only everything at the same height 
- Then, I make a new comp from that one and I put the anchor point of that new comp where I've chosen my fixed point before. With that anchor point on my fixed point, I can then stabilize the rotation manually and correctly (a small tip that helps is to duplicate the layer, put it 1 frame earlier with opacity 50% or play with the blend modes to see the difference in rotation between the current frame and the one before. When the frame is rotated correctly, copy-paste the transformation on the other layer and continue with the next frame). That's a long process it you choose to do it manually
- The last thing and it's maybe what you forgot is to stabilize the scale. If your circle (or arc) is not perfect or not really smooth, you can have some weird effect like what you called wobbling due to the change of perspective. Stabilizing scale can reduce a little that effect but it won't make it really disapear. To stabilize scale, that is the same method than rotation. Create a new comp from the one before, move the anchor point to you fixed point and stabilize it frame by frame.
- At the end, you can add a little warp stabilization (maybe 2% or something like that, I don't remember) to smooth it just a little more.

The best tip for those circular hyperlapses is : the better you shoot, the less nightmare you'll have in post. So, make a perfect arc, keep the same distance, aim at the same point carefuly. And maybe, the warp stabilizer will work if you're extremely lucky.

I've done only one complete 360 circular hyperlapse, and when I see how hard it is to stabilize, I think that will be the last one Wink

Yannick
#12 Thornburg
I still get blown away every time I see this! Absolute perfection. Thanks for sharing .
Thornburg Media

Amon THornburg

...also check out: