• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto Transition dumbing some image development settings

#1 scott@on-sight.com
The Gunter! I'm using DNG files, LR 5.5, LRTimelapse 3.4 and the Deflicker workflow on a Mac 10.9.4. I'm using the workflow that you outline at http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/archive/ind...ad-21.html

My images have been developed including adjustments to contrast, highlights, shadows and blacks. It appears that the "Auto Transition" process is dumping all of the above mentioned settings (and others). When "Auto Transition" is pressed the only unchanged column becomes the Exposure column and when I resave and load into LR these settings are gone. If I skip "Auto Transition" and simply Deflicker the above mentioned settings are preserved.

Can you confirm this? Any idea what's happening?
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#2 Gunther
This is definitely not a normal behaviour.
The columns might disappear after hitting auto-transition, but only those with equal settings. You can uncheck "hide unchanged columns" to see all of those
Please double check the process, start with the basic workflow outlined here:
http://lrtimelapse.com/workflow/
Start with a simple test ramping exposure for example from -2 to 2.
Check if that works. If so, try other parameters.
If something does not work, please send me the log file (info/log).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 scott@on-sight.com
OK so I've tried your test and it's helped me understand where the problem is - but I'm not sure what the solution is.

I've been doing all my edits in LR way before I'm ready to use LR Timelapse. So when I use LR Timelapse, I go through the top row of edits, saving metadata and loading that back into LR which wipes out my adjustments. But here's where the problem is - I then go back a history state so that the images reflect all the adjustments I made earlier (which is a lot - too much to do manually at this point). And then when I reload back into LRTimelapse something is wrong and it can't transition.

What's the alternative? I've got 100,000+ frames on hundreds of sequences that I've already spent a lot of time developing in LR. How can I simply transition and deflicker these sequences without loosing the image development that I've already done?

Thanks in advance - this has really had me stumped!
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#4 Gunther
There is no guarantee that that works. The initialization that LRTimelapse does is done for a reason - it is needed exactly to be able to make the transitions afterwards.
If you destroy the initialization by going back in history it probably won't work anymore like you experienced.
LRTimelapse tries to fix that to a certain level but if it's not able to do so because of inconsistencies, it won't work.

Bottom line: you will have to follow the workflow and edit the keyframes again, I'm afraid there is no other way to get that technically done. It it was, I would be supporting it with LRT.
#5 scott@on-sight.com
Hey, thanks so much for your honesty and for taking the time to respond. It's good for me to understand this problem better. It sounds like LRTimelapse records metadata during the initialization process that’s essential to the Keyframe Transitions process (but not Deflickering) and we can’t wipe over that going back to a previous History state or Snapshot in Lightroom. It seems like we need the ability to *append* instead of *replace* metadata in this respect, either in LR or LRTL. Is it possible to have an option in LRTL where the Initialization appends metadata? Well thanks and let me know if a solution presents itself!
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#6 Gunther
It will normally "append" - but there are a couple of special parameters that have to be initialized by LRTimelapse. Like I told you - if it was possible, I would have implemented it like that. Please read the following article, it might give you a better understanding of what's going on.
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
transition
fangioli
2015-11-06, 11:24
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: