• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto-Transition Issues.

#1 weehan
Hi all,

After a long time, I have finally jumped into LRTL3 and using it with LR5. I tested out a sequence with day to night sequence with about 10 exposure (shutter speed then ISO) changes. I followed the tutorials and am pretty sure I am not missing anything but the Auto Transition is just not happening. My steps are:

LRTL3:

Import - Initialize - Keyframe Wizard - Holy Grail KF Wizard - Save XMP

LR5:

Pop over to LR5 and import the raw files into a new catalog. Using ADD and "Automatically write changes to XMP" is unchecked.

In Library view: Select all files - Read metadata for all files.

Enable Filters - Filter by Rating - 2 stars. Thus all the 2 stars and 3 stars are selected which I have read are the frames before the exposure jump and the jump itself.

Edited the 2 star image (from the left of the filmstrip) and copied the Develop settings over to the 3 star image next to it. Afterwhich I applied a Match Total Exposure to the 2 frames.

Copy the Develop settings from the 1st 3 star frame (which I just edited above) and pasted the settings onto the 2nd 2 star frame. Adjust the exposure to my liking and making it slightly darker since its day to night and copied the Develop settings to the 2nd 3 star frame. Match Total Exposure between these 2 frames once again.

This went on for 10 pairs afterwhich I headed over to Library and Saved Metadata to the keyframe files.

Heading back to LRTL3:

Under Holy Grail workflow - Reload Frames - Auto-Transition Special and selected the Holy Grail Exposure (**/***) radio button. Nothing changes in the preview window and a AE rendered sequence had all the jumps as usual.

What am I doing wrong here? Any advice by Gunther or anyone is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Han
#2 Gunther
If you use the holy grail wizard there is no need to do the manual "Match total exposure" thing in Lightroom. Everything will be automated.
Please watch my Holy Grail tutorial at http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial to learn how the new process works, it got lot easier then in LRT2.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 weehan
Hi Gunther,

Thanks very much for the reply. I just realised too that there is no need to copy Develop settings from 2 stars to 3 stars coz its all done by the HG Wizard already. Smile The first test worked out fine so hoping on to a second set to get to know the software even better.

Thank you once again for the great advice!

Cheers

Han
#4 weehan
Hi Gunther,

Thanks alot for the info. I am facing a little problem with another sequence. After clicking the HolyGrail Wizard, the 3 star images should be very similar to the 2 star keyframes. However there is a distinct jump in exposure in my sets of 2s and 3s. What I then did was to manually Match Total Exposure for the 2 and 3 star keyframes to ensure that they are the same. Saving the metadata and reloading them in LRTL3, the columns showed a big drop in exposure in the numbers. Am I missing something here?

Thank you very much once again.

Cheers

Han
#5 Gunther
Are those the same numbers you see in Lightroom when checking the Exposure slider?
#6 weehan
Hi Gunther,

The 2 star will be reading say 0.42 and the 3 star will have a big jump e.g 1.40.
#7 Gunther
So what's wrong with that? The compensation depends of the difference in ISO/Shuttertime/Aperture settings in the adjacent images. I'm sorry, but I don't get the problem. Please add a screenshot to explain it.
#8 weehan
Hi Gunther,

I have upgraded to LR4.5 and have done up exposure/WB changes to the 4 star keyframes. Reloaded the metadata in LRTL and clicked Auto-transition and SAVE.

Read the metada in LR CC and all the files have got changes to them but the auto transition does not take place. The jump in exposure is there in the 2 and 3 star keyframes. Below is a link to the screenshot.

http://postimg.org/image/gecgf1rlj/

Hope for some of your advice here.

Thank you very much.
#9 Gunther
Hi, please check this faq thread:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-keyf...vise-versa
#10 weehan
Hi Gunther,

I have just done up exactly as per instructions in your link. Exposure 2012 does have a linear change from 1.50 to 2.50. Saved the Metadata and Read the Metadata in LR CC and there are still exposure jumps in the 3 star keyframes. Below is the link for the image file for the screencap of LRTL.

http://postimg.org/image/ri1kuqt55/

So auto-transition works fine and the 3 star KF shows the linear change as well but in LR CC, the jump is huge.
transition
fangioli
2015-11-06, 11:24
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: