• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto Transition Special Giving Strange White Balance Values

#1 amarc
Hi There!

I'm trying to do the Holy Grail workflow using ACR/Bridge but having some issues at the auto transition special stage. I followed the video tutorial exactly except that instead of using "create other keyframes" to automatically generate 4 (****) keyframes, I am manually creating them by right clicking on the photo -> keyframes -> set key frame 4 (****). I am doing this because it is a 24 hour time-lapse and I specifically want to isolate sunset/sunrise for white balance changes.

I created four 4 (****) keyframes and interestingly lrtimelapse automatically converted the first 1(*) keyframe (at frame 0) to a 4(****) keyframe instead. I converted it back to a 1(*) keyframe, saved xmp, then went to Bridge and it was there again but on frame 6 instead. I just ignored it, made white balance changes to the four 4 (****) keyframes, returned to lrtimelapse and reloaded xmp data. It correctly showed the white balance changes as 5850, 2850, 2850, 5850. I then hit "auto transition special" and that's where the trouble started...

Above is that weird extra keyframe lrtimelapse automatically and persistently generated. Notice how the values immediately start changing afterwards when they should stay at 5850. They fluctuate up to 5977 before descending back down to 5850 again.

Above is the first keyframe I intentionally created. The values increase afterwards as they should until they land at the second intentional keyframe below.

The first transition actually works perfectly. But between the middle two keyframes the values fluctuate from 2850 down to 2623 and then back up to 2850 again which again is very strange. It's almost as if lrtimelapse doesn't like having two identical values for two 4(****) keyframes next to each other and they either fluctuate upwards or downwards.

Above you can see that after the fourth intentional keyframe, 3 frames later it jumps all the way up to 5600 before gradually making its way to 5850.

It's not letting me post anymore photos so I will try to upload more to another post.
#2 amarc
Here is a screenshot of the curves of where the 4(****) keyframes are:

Here is a screenshot of the curves for the whole sequence:

Yes I know it is very long with a lot of fluctuations in exposure and flickering. I'll save that for my next post Wink

Does this make sense to anyone out there? I have already re-initialized and started from scratch again once and the same thing happened. The second time I made sure to wait until Bridge had finished loading all thumbnails before reloading back into lrtimelapse (which takes hours) as I heard that could cause issues.

Any help is much appreciated! It's quite late in Vancouver so I will check the thread again in the morning.
#3 Gunther
Normally it doesn't matter, if 1* or 4*. But I would recommend to use only 4* keyframes for the 2nd layer. Then make sure as well, that the 1st and last frame have one of those keyframes. And make sure that the others are not too close to each other, the curves will otherwise distort a bit, that's what you are experiencing. Click in "All" above the preview, to see the WB curves as well, then you will see what I mean.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 amarc
Thank you very much Gunther for your response.

I made the first and last frames into 4* keyframes and then spaced out the second transition more and it worked. There is still this strange drifting that happens between two keyframes with the same white balance values, but it's not a big deal.

I would now like to do the two-pass deflicker technique but after I save the jpegs out of Bridge and bring them into lrtimelapse it is still reading the old metadeta of the RAW files. I saved them out of ACR. Is there another way of exporting them without the metadeta to bring them into lrtimelapse? I've tried searching the forums but have only found specific instructions for lightroom, not Bridge.
#5 Gunther
You have to tell bridge to export the JPGs without metadata embedded. In Lightroom this happens automatically with the LRTExport plugin.
It's described in my EBook for Bridge as well.
#6 amarc
Ah okay I figured it out. I used the "save" function out of ACR because the export function wasn't working properly in my version of Adobe Bridge CS5. I updated it and it's working properly now. If anyone else runs into the same problem this may be helpful: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/export-multip...ort-panel/

Thanks again Gunther. I appreciate the time you put into helping everyone in this forum.
#7 amarc
Hey Gunther, unfortunately I ran into another issue with lrtimelapse.

I managed to export all the jpegs without metadata out of Bridge and then imported them into lrtimelapse. Some of the images at the end were partially greyed out for some reason. I re-exported those images and checked them in Bridge/Finder and they are now fine. However when I reimported all the files into lrtimelapse they are still greyed out. I thought maybe Bridge hadn't finished creating the new thumbnails so I went back and allowed it to finish before re-importing to lrtimelapse but it didn't help. I also tried re-initializing but that didn't help either. The images towards the end are intentionally quite overexposed but I don't see why that should be an issue.

Please find the screenshots attached and let me know what you think it might be!
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#8 Gunther
Please try to rebuild the previews for that sequence in LRT by pressing Shift-F5.
transition
fangioli
2015-11-06, 11:24
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: