• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto Whitebalance for Long-Term Sequence

#1 jm001
Hi there,

I have a long-term timelapse sequence shot in DNG. It's roughly a year long so there are a lot of photos to process, and it's capturing an interior space. The interior lights are tungsten, and there's is a lot of differing colour with the daylight from the windows as you could imagine, There is a lot of white-balance shift within each day (sunrise, sunset, cloudy days, etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations on best practices to handle these white balance shifts within each day? Is it possible to set a keyframe at the start and end of my sequence, and have the white-balance be set to auto, will this trigger the "transition" keyframes to all be set to auto as well? I'm thinking this would help to fix it a bit, but I'm not sure how to achieve this with LRT, and it takes a very long time to try new things out with such a long sequence. and I obviously don't want to be keyframing each day to fix manually as it would be a painstakingly long process.
#2 Gunther
If you want to keep all images, you can set the keyframes to Auto-Whitebalance.
Normally people shooting long term sequences would rather use the filter options in the long time workflow to keep only consitant images. But even then it might be worth setting the white balance to "auto".

Should the Auto Transition modify the white balance, you can alsways select the whole sequence in Lightroom and then set the WB to Auto again for all images before exporting.

But I'd recommend that you watch my long term tutorial to learn about the filter options: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 jm001
Hi Gunther, I need a lot of the frames that are captured with different lighting, so the filtering for hue is not as helpful here. So when I am developing the frames in lightroom to bring back into LRT for transitions and flicker reduction, I can set them to auto and this will trigger LRT to set all the frames to auto?

Will setting the whole sequence to auto in lightroom before exporting force me to lose any of my deflicker values the LRT has created? The only downside to doing it this way is I cannot preview the sequence in LRT with all the frames set to auto?
#4 Gunther
As I said, if the keyframes are all set to auto, LRT will normally preserve this. Best try it with a short test sequence.

If you do it in LR before exporting, just make sure to sync only the wb setting to all images, then everything else including deflicker will be preserved.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: