• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Back2back 2*3* keyframes with reverse correction not handeled correctly

#1 stonebone
I was testing reverse correction in qdslrdashboard, a needed feature for me. While this was working in qdslrdashboard, LRTimelapse had troubles correctly handling it. E.g. I had an ISO stepping for 4 frames in sequence like 50-100-100-50 due to sun quickly hiding, correctly detected as 2*3*2*3* keyframe sequence in LRTimelapse. But the exposure adjustement was wrong after running the holy grail wizard. Exposure was 0.831, -0.183, 0.632, 1.231, leading of course to a quite noticeable EV jump.
I fixed it by manually setting the exposure by estimation 0.831, -0.183, -0.200, 0.800, loading it in the last line of the normal workflow and running the auto transition for HG frames.

So something goes wrong between the first 3* keyframe and the second 2* keyframe, which are same ISO and same shutterspeed of the same scenery, but one having -0.183, the other 0.632 EV.
#2 Gunther
Keyframes that directly follow each other should rather be avoided. While I didn't find a constellation where it didn't work, you might have found one. Maybe you could send me a short sequence of 10 images around the position where you think the HG-adjustments does not work for me to check.

The default value for Reverse Correction is currently too low. I asked Zoltan to set it to 40% for the next version by default. You should try that higher value to get better results. The current value will lead to a back and forth in settings, that's not what we want.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 stonebone
Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I figured out as well that 40% works much better by preventing adjusting back and forth several times in a row in certain conditions.

I'll send you the problematic short sequence tonight as I am currently on the road.
Where and how should I send it? Will be a bit big for email (around 200MB for 10 frames..ok a bit less after zipping)...any FTP server I can upload?

I agree that it is not ideal to have back to back keyframes, as this can lead to small, but noticeable EV stepping resulting in slight flicker.
Sometimes in can not be avoided, but I can handle that perfectly in AE post.
So no issue for me.

Thanks
#4 Gunther
Just send it via dropbox https://db.tt/ruJM7rp or wetransfer. Like I said, normally LRTimelapse handles adjacent keyframes very well.
#5 stonebone
Just sent the dropbox link to support(at)lrtimelapse.com.
Reproduceable with latest LRTL.

Thanks
#6 Gunther
Thanks, I will check it in the next days.
#7 Gunther
Christian, I can reproduce it. It's a rather uncommon case. Will fix it for the next version. Thank you again for reporting.
#8 stonebone
Good, thanks Gunther :-)
Looking forward to it...

Cheers

...also check out: