• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Behaviour of LRT and Licensing

#1 Gerry Kumulus
Hello,

in the last few days I have tried LRTimelapse free version and I'm very interested to buy it. Now there are some questions:

1. Why does LRTimelapse modify the Exif-Data of my original jpg images without notification?
I have imported a sequence of 400 pictures into LRTimelapse, and tried the "Standard Workflow". When I have pressed "Save XMP", the original file date and time is set to the actual time and date (bcause LRT modifies the Exif Data)
I did not expect such a behaviour of LRT, I just wanted to try it,
an now my original files are modified.
So why does LRT modify original files this without notifying me?
Now I wonder what else is LRT doing without my knolwledge?

2. If I add more pictures to the directory I'm working on, LRT does not recognize them, even if I press "Initialize". I have to close and open LRT again.

3. If I render with my private license (want to buy one), do I have to render them again after purchasing the professional license (e.g because somebody wants to buy my videos )?

Best Regards,
Gerry
#2 Gunther
LRTimelapse only modifies XMP data. It's due to Adobes design, that for JPGs this has to be done by embedding the XMP into the JPG file itself. With RAW and DNG LRTimelapse will only write sidecar files.
You can clear the LRTimelapse metadata any time by chosing "Metadata->Clear Metadata" from the menu. This will get rid of all XMP data.
The original Date/Time will not be modified. LRTimelapse writes its own timestamp in a special XMP field to compensate for some weird behavior of LR when dealing with the dates. LRTimelapse will then show its own Timestamp.
LRT wil not change any Exif-Data - only XMP data. That's a difference.

2.) It's sufficient to just change to another folder and then reload the desired folder. This will add the new images. In normal workflows this doesn't happen.

3.) No. If you decide to upgrade to Pro to be able to use the ProRes export however, you can just use the intermediary JPG sequence to render a new ProRes video for your client, without having to export the sequence again from LR.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Gerry Kumulus
Hi Gunther,
thanks for the quick reply.

1. I have tried your suggetions amd found out that LR Timelapes behaves a little bit different:
After storing XMP Data the File Date and Time of the original files is changed.
(See Screenshots before     and after storing xmp data     )
After clearing XMP data as you have suggested, file date and time (of the files in the directory listing) remain changed.

But do be honest - what I really dont like is that LRT leaves its footprint in my original files (XMP -Data) after deleting XMP-Data.

I have a workaround for this - simply keeping my original files away from LRT in a seperate directory.

2. Ok, this works.

3. Good to see. If my customer is ok with the quality of the sample video I need not to render my end result (e.g. in Adobe Premiere) again. Only if he wants the better codec or a higher resolution, I have to render again.

Best Regards,
Gerry
#4 Gunther
Since LRTimelapse has to write the XMP data into the JPG files (Adobes Design), the modified Date of the files will be changed. LRTimelapse never modifies any image data, only the reserved space in the JPP file for XMP info. The operating system controls the Modified Date/Timestamp.

If you write XMP with Lightroom (just modify something and hit Ctrl-S in Lightroom) - it will behave exactly the same way. This is NOT a limitation of LRTimelapse, it's just the way Adobe intended XMP data to be handled.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: