• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cant get my holy grail 100% smooth

#1 Stef
Hi Gunther,

So I updated to the new LRT4, now I'm working on a sunrise of yesterday morning.
I do the following thing :

- Open Visual Workflow
- Keyframe wizard and make sure that there is a blue keyframe in every exposure change
- Holy grail
- Save and open in Lightroom

- Edit my 4 star keyframe picture 1
- Sync those settings to the next 3 pictures with the LRT Script
- Edit those and repeat the until I edited all my 4 keyframes and hit cntrl S to save metadata

- Open in LRT4
- Auto Transation
- Save

- Visual Preview
- Visual Deflicker (tried it with amount 10, 20 and 30)
- Save

And I still get bumps, the thing I'm also missing is that in LRT3 the program changes the exposure in the Metadata so it would look smooth, now I have to do it myself.
I also didn't edit very extreme, just some highlights, color, whitebalance, contrast and filter.

Am I doing something wrong? I followed the video and read the instructions, but I can't get it smooth without a bump in the sky.

Tnx!
#2 Gunther
Quote:- Keyframe wizard and make sure that there is a blue keyframe in every exposure change

You might have understood something wrong about the new workflow.

LRTimelapse will take care of all Holy Grail "jumps" automatically and set those orange keyframes there. The blue ones are only for your color corrections.
You don't have to deal with any Holy Grail corrections at all - LRT will do it in the background, not via the Exposure curve anymore!

You'll see a yellow curve with the adjustments that's mirrored to the blue curve after applying the holy grail wizard.

After doing this you activate visual previews and should get a pink curve that already looks much smoother then the blue preview luminance curve before. The last remaining bumps will now be sorted out with the visual deflicker. Apply it and then wait for the pink curve to be build again, it should now be even smoother. You can repeat this with the "refine" button to get an even smoother pink curve.

Please make sure to watch my new holy grail tutorial http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial - I'm explaining everything there!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Stef
Thanks for the reaction,

I followed the video tutorial 5 times I think, but I just can't get it smooth.
Indeed its smoother than un edited, but you still see bumps.

I edited a sequence in LRT3 and now editing it in LRT4 (deleted the metadata so I started at 0 again).
I can show you the difference if you want to, so you see what's going on.

Is there maybe a step I forget?
Just doing everything like I said in my opening post and following every step in the video tutorial, but also like in the text tutorial. It's pretty weird that I could get the shot very smooth in LRT3, and in LRT4 it just don't work, I have the DNG converter installed (the newest), the newest Lightroom and the newest LRT4.
#4 Gunther
I don't know, maybe you could post a screenshot of the preview panel with the curves, or the rendered video - I need something that I can look at. Did you try to refine the deflicker like I explained in the holy grail tutorial?
#5 Stef
I will send the video later today and post the curves over here! Thanks
#6 Stef
[Image: http://guilty.smugmug.com/Site-Images/i-...4.11-S.png]

Here is a screenshot of the curves after I followed the whole visual workflow, still not smooth..
#7 Gunther
Did you already apply refine to the deflicker? - I mean you can do this a couple of times - if it's still not smooth then most likely some colors are blown in the original files or you have contrast changes due to too heavy editing in Lightroom or whatever. But normally after one or two additional deflicker passes with "refine" the pink curve should be smooth.
#8 stefgodin
Hi Gunther,

I've got the same problem with sequences on a eos 600D (bad camera for time lapses...) Impossible to have smooth transitions between Holy Grail "jumps".
After optimization difference between 2 and 3 stars are huge.
Saturation is different, color dominante too and I need to correct -0,10 exposure to match.
I think, it's because of bad metadata from this camera. No problem with my eos 1dx...

I tried to use deflicker many times. My pink curve looks smooth but on the final film, we can clearly see some jumps.

My question is, in LRT4, can I adjust manually 2 and 3 stars keyframes and then reload and apply auto transition ?
(I've tried it, but I think it's not working, my manuals adjustments seem to have disappeared...)

Thanks !

PS: when I clic on "match total exposure" in lightroom CC 2015, on 2** and 3***, they don't look the same. Impossible to match automatically
#9 Gunther
if the pink curve looks smooth and in the final film you still see jumps, of course, it's not the brightness (that's what the pink curve shows) - then it might be different contrasts or tonalities. Those might as well happen due to strong editing in Lightroom. Try editing less, and try finding a suitable reference area for the visual deflicker - best an area where you can isolate the residual flicker. You can do this on the alread edited sequence and just refine again with the new reference area set.
#10 stefgodin
Yes, it's right. It's better, not too strong edit in lightroom (saturation and gradient...)
Now, it's ok.

Thanks !

...also check out: