• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clarification requested on Basic Workflow with Adobe Camera RAW

#1 petitpaul
Hi,

I am just getting acquainted with LRT 5.3.2 (free version) and want to use the 'Basic Workflow with Adobe Camera RAW'. See the steps described in https://lrtimelapse.com/workflow/adobe-c...e-effects/

I hit a problem when I reach step 4b, substep 7.
First, when I look at the exported JPEG images, which I saved (exported to) a separate folder in a previous step, the blue curve line in the preview window shows me the JPEG images have NOT been deflickered (even I executed 'deflicker' in step 3 of the workflow, by selecting a grade in deflickering (e.g. 30) and hitting 'apply' and then the button 'save'.

Then, according to description 7 of step 4b, I need to render the Video. I select, as described, File > Render Video, and hit 'Choose' to select the folder I saved the exported JPEG files in.
As output file, LRT generates a file name in a different folder than the one which contains the JPEGs used for the rendering (which is good in itself). There is, however, no possibility to choose an alternative folder for the rendered mp4. What happens next is disturbing: the folder which contains all the exported JPEGs has been erased, along with it the exported JPEG files themselves! Gunther says I selected the wrong folder, but I am obliged to use the one LRT selects by default, which is a different one than the folder the used JPEG's are in.

Before rendering the video, I check the result in the preview pane. I noticed that some individual images 'flickered': it turned out, those were the keyframes I applied modifications to in Camera RAW! It appears the modifications (WB,etc) i applied to the key frames were NOT applied to the other, in-between images (no transitions were applied, to formulate it correctly). I deleted those images, resulting in a simple timelapse of the existing, non-edited images I could have made with any free software (e.g. GoPro Studio).

So, to summarize
- deflickering doesn't seem to have an effect
- the modifications done in Camera RAW to the Key Frames were not applied to the other images (no transitions were calculated and applied).
- exported JPEG files (the ones used in the last step, rendering) are all erased when rendering a video is done.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Apart from that, credit card payment doesn't seem to work (for acquiring a license). After filling out all credit card details, a Paypal message appears: "somethings seems to be wrong. Try again later". I hit 'Try again' and Paypal prompts me to enter the same credit card data again. I don't know... I don't want to pay twice....
#2 Gunther
Regarding deflicker and the missing transitions: something seems to be wrong, maybe you missed a Save step?

In the Render dialog there is an option "Delete intermediary files" (at the bottom of the dialog) if you have that checked, the intermediary files get deleted. Since those are "intermediary files" that can always be recreated from the Raw files, this is a viable option.

All in all the ACR Workflow is more complicated then working with Lightroom Classic. Since you have access to ACR, you should normally also have access to Lightroom Classic, I'd recommend to use that instead. Otherwise, please double check that you are doing all steps. This faq might help to troubleshoot: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-keyf...vise-versa

Credit Card Payment works for others. Maybe you could try another browser or maybe paypal is blocking you because of your locations. Please let me know - otherwise you might also pay via SEPA bank transfer or send me an email, then we'll figure this out.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 petitpaul
Hi Gunther,
Regarding the keyframes: I will give you a breakdown of every step I did.

I use the keyframe wizard button to execute the action 'auto key frame' in step 1 (there is no button called 'auto keyframe' in the workflow, as described on your site, so I assume this is the one you mean). I move the slider to 3 keyframes (for instance) and push the 'Save' button above it (the one in the upper workflow row, to the right of the Keyframe wizard button).
I edited the 3 keyframes in Bridge/ACR as per the workflow description, hitting 'done' after each keyframe edit (in Bridge, I can indeed see that the key frames have changed. In my example, more contrast, color and each one, from left to right, a bit darker, to emulate a bramping.
I returned to LRT to excecute step 3. The workflow description says for step 3 only "finish the workflow' which is quite vague. I assume this means I have to do all the buttons in the second row from left to right:
- I hit 'auto transition', that seems to take between 1 and 2 seconds only, which strikes me as too short for auto-modifying a a batch of a couple of 100 images). When I check in Bridge, I can indeed see that LRT did not modify the in between images between the keyframes as I expected. Is 'auto transition' a completely other function (and what is it then?). And how else can LRT generate the transition image edits?
- the same with deflickering, the next button in the lower row. it shows me a deflickered curve when i hit 'apply', but even after saving (third button) , the curve reverts to the original one (pre-deflicker) and the sequence has not been deflickered.

So, the mistake/fault should be somewhere in step 3 is my guess. Since this SHOULD work with Bridge/ACR, and it doesn't: what did I do wrong? I prefer not to use Lightroom if at all possible (i find it very user unfriendly for photo editing).
What is Holy grail keyframe by the way? I googled it but couldn't find any answer.

As for the deleting of the files: thanks for the tip on the 'intermediary files' checkbox. That indeed seems to be the cause.
#4 Gunther
After editing the keyframes in ACR, when you return to LRTimelapse, you need to "Reload" which is the first option in the second row. You don't mention it above. If you don't do it, LRTimelapse will not know about your changes and everything else will fail.
Reload should then make your changes to the keyframes appear in the table, please double check.
After that Auto Transition should work (it's quite fast, no worries). After doing Auto Transition you should hit save in LRTimelapse, otherwise you won't see any changes in Bridge.

Again: I'd recommend to use Lightroom Classic if you have access to it (you should if you have Bridge/ACR). The problem with Bridge is that it auto saves and loads Metadata, which might lead to problems. Also you don't have the dedicated Scripts and Plugins that I provide for Lightroom, which makes it more complicated and might cause problems. Lightroom is much more user friendly then Bridge/ACR, I'd recommend to give it a chance.
This doesn't mean that it's not possible to do the workflow with ACR/Bridge if you do it right, it's just, that it's much easier and less error prone with Lightroom Classic.
#5 petitpaul
Thanks for the reply. That 'reload' button is indeed something I didn't use. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know the outcome. As for paying by credit card: it probably refuses because I use a (Dutch) card and I am in Austria right now. I'll try it when I am back home next week.
#6 petitpaul
Looks like the in-between images have indeed been created, after 'Reloading'. Deflickering is hard to Can you also tell me what "Holy Grail" means? Couldn't find anything about that.
#7 Gunther
Please check out the holy grail tutorials on the tutorials page! There is one about shooting such day to night transitions and one about the editing!

...also check out: