• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clouds causing drastic lighting changes

#1 eperry
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of timelapses where the clouds will pass over head and block the sun causing heavy shadow and have a flickering effect on a shot. (Mind you I'm in manual mode so it's not an actual flicker from A/V mode).

Essentially the shadow from the cloud is covering the area I'm shooting.

I was wondering if anyone knew an effective work flow through LRTimelapse to correct the exposure for this. I'm curious if the flicker mode would be effective. I'm wondering if it can be combined with the workflow for Holy Grail.

I would normally address it with 3 key frames. On at the last normal lighting situation, one at the peak of the dark area and another at the beginning of the normal exposed area after the cloud passes.

Sometimes this is very time consuming with tons of clouds going by over head, or situations where the clouds have a lot of pockets where the sun will shine through.

Any help, advice, or direction on another post that may help would be appreciated.
#2 Gunther
We just had that, sometimes the search function might be your friend ;-)
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-clou...ght=clouds

Apart from that, you can combine that with some keyframing, where you keyframe the exposure to level out that brightness differences even more. This normally has nothing to do with "holy grail", so just stay with the regular deflicker workflow and combine the deflickering with some key framing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: