• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Colors appear different after export

#1 Krimolvig
Hello

I'm facing an issue that I have not seen before after upgrading to version 5.5.
The final video export from LRTimelapse appears almost unedited, flat and totally different from the video preview in LRT and how it appear in lightroom.

It's a bit hard to explain, but I'll try.
Photos look's good when doing the steps in LRT. I'm doing my stuff in Lightroom and edit all keyframes, still looks good. Going back to LRT, doing auto transition etc. then reading metadata to all files in Lightroom. I've done this process a few hundred times so I'm very familiar with the steps. Photos still looks good. Exporting from Lightroom and the issues appear.

Now look at the attached screenshot. In the opened photo preview photo looks good, it appear the way I edited it. The thumbnails in the folder however are all unedited (much brighter, less contrast).

I'm going on and exporting the final video from LRT. In the render box video preview photo still looks great.
The final video however, turns out unedited, flat, brighter much like the thumbnail pictures in the folder.

Seems like there's something happening when I'm exporting from Lightroom.
See the other attachment for LRT render settings.

Anyone???
Running Molvig Media Timelapse-company | Vimeo | Youtube | Facebook

Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Krimolvig
Ok, update: Seems like the big difference is if I'm rendering with Gamut BT.709 or BT.2020 where the BT.2020 gives me the unedited look-a-like result. Can someone explain this?

#3 Gunther
If you feed Wide Gamut Rec.2020 material into a software that doesn't interpret that correctly, you'd get flat colors.
This is the same as trying to display AdobeRGB images on a Viewer that expects rRGB.

The only video editing software that I know that really handles Rec.2020 correctly is Davinci Resolve.
If you don't really need a wide gamut workflow (for example for HDR video) just stay with Rec.709.

I'd recommend reading my article about the color management in LRTimelapse, there is also a video: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrtimelapse-5-5/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Krimolvig
Thanks, I understand that feeding a wide gamut clip into a software that cannot handle it would make odd results.
However, what is happening with the export? Referring to the first attachment, this happen with every sequence I try to export now. And after rendering the video it still look odd with the 2020 gamut. Looked like it was not the gamut setting after all..

#5 Gunther
The exported intermediary sequences will always be in Rec.2020. When rendering from LRTimelapse then, you need to choose Rec.709 if you don't intend to work with a wide gamut or your software doesn't support it.
With LRT 5.5.3 the Render dialog won't default to Rec.2020 anymore, but the render gamut and the other render settings are important choices to consider when rendering.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: