• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Computer upgrade?

#1 Anamorphic702
What computers/hardware are you guys running to edit and handle 4K files?
My 2008 mac pro desktop:
2.8 quad core
16 gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

...can barely run a 4K pro res file from LRT using premiere 6. I'm able to render them out with effects and music but its very sluggish and drops frames.
I'm not sure If I should try to add more ram and upgrade a video card as well as upgrade to Premiere CC
OR… Maybe get a new iMac with 3.2 or 3.4 Intel etc…

what you guys think?

thanks!
-ron
#2 rcmagraw
Looking at the specs of your computer - you shouldn't be having any problems handling a file that size. Do you know if you're running 32 or 64bit version of AP?

If you're running 32bit version you are not taking advantage of your computer resources (CPU and RAM). If it turns out you are running a 64bit version you may want to double check the settings in AP and make sure you are dedicating more ram to the program. There are plenty tutorials on the web on how to do that.

On a side note, your graphics card is a little on the low end side and could be upgraded. With that said there is no need to rush out and buy one because its not contributing your problem. I would also recommend investing in Adobe After Effects it handles large files / time-lapse sequences a lot better.

Hope this helps!

...also check out: