• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Could not create virtual machine

#1 Gunther
Should you get the message "Could not create Virtual Machine" from Java when trying to launch LRTimelapse there are a couple of things you should try.

Please note that normally none of these approaches are necessary this is only troubleshooting if you can't launch LRTimelapse otherwise.

1. Uninstall all Java installations from your machine (Software->Add / remove Programs)
  2. Install a fresh Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, make sure you install the x64 version if you are using a 64bit Operating System.
If you are on 32bit, and can't launch with the normal launcher, then please try the small Memory Launcher from the Start Menu/LRTimelapse

Normally that should get you going. If the problem persist here are some things you could try (in the order I write them down, after each approach try launching)
  1. Close other Applications to circumvent memory issues.
  2. Go to java directory Program Files/Java/jre7/bin. Open the java.exe properties (right-click, properties), go to "Compatibility" and set "Run the program as an administrator".
  3. Go to LRTimelapse directory (Program Files/LRTimelapse/) do the same for LRTimelapse.exe
  4. Right click on the LRT icon on your desktop, click "Troubleshoot Compatabily", then click Try recommended settings.
If nothing works, try launching the CMD-file located at Program Files/LRTimelapse/. You might have to edit this file with a text-editor to set the right path to your java-Install. If this fails too, write me a mail...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 Patrick
Thank you. The following worked for me.

1.Go to java directory Program Files/Java/jre7/bin. Open the java.exe properties (right-click, properties), go to "Compatibility" and set "Run the program as an administrator".
2.Go to LRTimelapse directory (Program Files/LRTimelapse/) do the same for LRTimelapse.exe.
#3 leandroprz
Also, if you have a 64 bit OS, make sure you install both x86 and x64 versions of Java.

Thank you.
#4 zeuch
Hi !

I am using windows 7 32bits, (4 go of RAM), and i cannot launch LRTimelapse anymore. I have tried everything mentionned in this thread and in the other ones, plus uninstalling the software / reinstalling the latest version (Java too of course), rebooting, etc.

It simply doesn't work.

If anybody knows what I can do to make it work again, I'd be very glad !

Thank you,

z
#5 Gunther
Are you on Windows? Have you tried launching via the CMD-File? Please not that you might have to edit the CMD to provide the right path to your Java-Install. As of 1.9 Java 7 is provided as default, so if you have Java 6 installed you might have to change it.

#6 zeuch
Hi Gunther, thank you for your reply. Okay, didn't know i had to do this.

So my .cmd file is :
Quote:rem --------------------------------------------------------------------
rem Please provide the right path to your javaw.exe here with trailing \
rem and without the leading C:\Program Files...
rem example: set java_path="\Java\jre6\bin\"
rem --------------------------------------------------------------------
set java_path=\Java\jre7\bin\
set memory_usage_min=256m
set memory_usage_max=1024m

rem don't modify underneath this line unless you know what you are doing...

SET prog_path=C:\Program Files (x86)
IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="x86" SET prog_path=C:\Program Files

IF EXIST "C:\Program Files" set prog_path=C:\Program Files
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)" set prog_path=C:\Program Files (x86)
IF EXIST "C:\Programme" set prog_path=C:\Programme

"%prog_path%%java_path%java.exe" -Xms%memory_usage_min% -Xmx%memory_usage_max% -jar LRTimelapse.jar

:CLEANUP
set prog_path=
set java_path=

rem pause

my LRtimelapse folder is here : Z:\Program Files\LRTimelapse
my Java folder is here : Z:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

What should I modify ? (i tried to replace all the C: with Z: but it doesn't seem to work
#7 zeuch
Also i just noticed that the program manages to run when launching the .jar file ! It starts well but seems to freeze quickly (0 memory left in the top right corner).

Is it a good way to start the program and how can i increase the memory allocated ? Thanks

edit : i checked and there was 12 go of files to manage, so i guess the program couldn't do it. I separated my files into several folders and i can now deflicker Smile
#8 Gunther
Normally substituting the C: for Z: in the CMD should work for you.

You could even make it easier by putting only these 2 lines in the CMD:
Code:
cd "Z:\Program Files\LRTimelapse"
"Z:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024m -Xmx1500m -jar LRTimelapse.jar
#9 zeuch
Thank you very much Gunther, it works ! Smile
#10 peter
Hi there,

I am trying to get this nice looking software to work but also i got this error:

Error. Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
and
Error: A fatal exception has occurred, Program will exit.

I assum this is the same error. Tried everything above but nothing seems to work.

I use windows Xp.

When i start LRTimelapse.jar the program works... But I am not sure if this works completely.

Any Help?

kind regards,
Peter

...also check out: