• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cropping to fix camera movement

#1 NeilP
I created a short sequence of 180 shots the other day, where I could not extend tripod legs properly, so camera was able to pan slightly.
This happened every time I made and exposure change for the HG method.

I have initialised in LRT3 and gone through the frames and marked as 4 star all the ones where the camera has moved. Also marked first and last with 4 stars

Opened in LR4, loaded metadata,viewed and cropped all the 4 * Keyframes so that a central image is stationary..effectively removing the unwanted camera pan.

Saved metadata, and reloaded in LRT.

When I look at the crops they are all fine. so now I need to apply transitions to the intermediate frames..but how.

I have tried Individual transitions with Linear selected and only the crop boxes (Select Column (Only This)) applied.

Tried Curves and also Auto transitions..nothing seems to work to create a jump free sequence.

I was planning on a two stage process. Crop and 'stabalise' the pan first..then process the HG frames..

I had tried doing the HG frames first, but because of the panning..the reference area moves.

any hints ?
#2 Gunther
Try using 1* keyframes to do this, then your approach will work.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 NeilP
ah. ok so number of stars changes how transitions are handled..OK< got it..I was using *4 star since the other section used 4 star for crop.

thanks
#4 Gunther
That's for the Holy Grail workflow only - you should just use the basic workflow.
#5 NeilP
OK, so use 1 star and which transition type?
Auto or Individual linear or individual curve from the Tools section.

Do I still do the 'Select just this column'? to select just the Crop section
#6 Gunther
Try auto transition with only the crop columns selected.
#7 NeilP
Thankyou.

seemed to work ...still a little movement, but I think one of the basic 'anti camera shake ' tools in something like iMovie will get the last little bits out.

It was only shot on spur of moment out of hospital window where I had to stay the night.

many thanks

(2013-11-26, 04:49)gwegner Wrote: Try auto transition with only the crop columns selected.
#8 NeilP
Well here it is..164 images..24 fps then set to 1/4 speed output.

Shot on Olympus XZ-2 from hospital ward 'Day Room' window. Window would only open 3 inches, so I had to fir camera on tripod, and the lie tripod flat with legs folded.

Did it all one handed, since arm is in plaster and a sling. Could not sleep so got up from hospital bed .

Just shot it for the learning experience of doing a TL with that camera.

May yet go back and edit again to sort the levels and noise out. and try and pin the camera movement better. Those images were cropped down about 75% of original size. The building on the RHS 'moves' left-right across the frame to show up to 6 windows, as I changed the HG exposures

[Video: http://youtu.be/KghdrSjJOKU]

...also check out: