• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Day to Night and interval

#1 plutone
Hi everyone and nice to meet you, I'm tryng to make a timelapse (I have a Canon 5D MarkIII with Magic Lantern, that I use mainly for the Intervalometer) and I would like to ask some suggestions:
in a Day to Night Timelapse, if my start settings are for example 1/30s ISO 100 f/11 and the interval is 3sec, when the sun starts to set, and I gradually change my shutter speed to more than my interval for example to 4sec, the camera start to take a picture as soon as the buffer is free. Is this normal? Or the camera should keep the interval of 3 sec between the end of the shots?. Apart than changing the ISO is there anything I can do? any suggestions?
thank you :-)
#2 Gunther
Hi, please check this thread where we just discussed that topic: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-from...al+ramping
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 plutone
ok thank you Gunther, but what do you think about this?
""when the sun starts to set, and I gradually change my shutter speed to more than my interval for example to 4sec, the camera start to take a picture as soon as the buffer is free. Is this normal? Or the camera should keep the interval of 3 sec between the end of the shots?""
#4 photoSentinel
It's possible (depending on the intervelometer and your settings) that your intervelometer is 'holding down' the trigger for three seconds (as opposed to just triggering and then waiting for three seconds). In that instance, as soon as the camera finishes buffering, it will detect that it should be taking a photo and so will do so immediately. If it's set to just trigger a photo with a split second pulse and the wait for the rest of the three seconds, you should find it won't take a photo until the next interval (i.e. for a four second exposure, it won't take a photo until six seconds).

Could this be the issue?

Matt
photosentinel.com : Long term time-lapse equipment for the pro

[size=x-small]3G enabled | Use your own DSLR | Web config | Download images direct to FTP/Dropbox | Solar-powered | IP66 weatherproof[/size]
#5 plutone
I don't know, I'm using Magic Lantern as Intervalometer.
I did another test:
exposure of 8sec
interval (in the menu of magic lantern is written "take a pic every") of 5s

I have taken 5 picture and the actual interval between the shots, that I measured with the cronometer, is 1.3 sec

what can I do?
#6 Gunther
How is this supposed to work?

The interval must always be longer then the longest shutter time.

If you have a shutter of 5 seconds, the interval should at least be 7 or 8 seconds since it always includes the shutter time.
#7 plutone
oh ok thank you, so this is normal.

However I think that would be better if the interval was referred at the time that passes between the end of a shot and the beginning of the next, don't you think?
#8 Gunther
No, because the interval normally should stay constant to avoid accellerations. The Exposure-Time however can vary.
#9 plutone
maybe you're right; but if you are shooting a timelapse in a cloudy sunset with clouds moving fast (for example ISO 100 1/50 sec f/11) and you want to continue during the night, what do you suggest, what interval should be appropriate? Changing the aperture in a lens with electronic aperture control can be a big problem to handle in post-production?
thank you for your help
#10 plutone
any help?

...also check out: