• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
#1 Enrico Righetti
Hi guys, in your opinion which camera do you prefer dir timelapse?
#2 Enrico Righetti
Good morning everyone, in this period of stagnation I am considering how to reorganize my kit as a result of some factors that begin to get tight.
Currently my kit consists of: Nikon D610, Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 VC G1, Nikon 50mm f1.8 and an old Nikon 70-210 AF f4-6.3.
The genres I practice are almost exclusively time lapse and landscape photography.
What I would like to achieve with the change of equipment are the following things:
-diminution possibly of weights and encumbrances
-tiltable screen,
-superior quality of the files even at high iso
If it did not weigh 1kg I would almost certainly take the D850 but for the trekking I do would be a nonsense, also I want to change the Tamron 15-30 because it is really too big and heavy.
Of the current kit I would sell everything anyway, maybe in case of transition to nikon z I would keep the 50mm and the old 70-210 since I would not take almost anything.
The idea then is to switch to the z6II or change brand and switch to the sony a7R3.
I like everything about the z6II except for the fact that the range of lenses for this mount is still very limited, I would take the 14-30 and the 24-200 (or the 24-70 f4 but remaining uncovered on the tele side), I would also miss a bright lens for night photos of the Milky Way. Currently there would be the 20 1.8 but has an excessive cost and at that point I would make the effort and switch to the new 14-24 f2.8 that has its own exorbitant cost. So in conclusion the choice to switch to the nikon z is held back by the reduced lens park that I do not know when it will be really expanded by sigma, tamron and samyang.
On the other hand, since I would sell everything, I'm considering the brand change with the a7R3 (the a7III I did not consider it mainly for the viewfinder). With sony I would have a more than complete lens park while the things that do not convince me are:
- the lack of the upper screen which I find extremely useful
- managing the 42 mpx of the a7R3, which would lead to a very high amount of gb for timelapses (with the advantage of being able to do timelapses in 8k, but I do not think it is extremely necessary).

Probably the future a7IV could solve in part my doubts about the Sony world, but it is not yet known when it will be released and if it will really have the improvements that I would be interested.

In conclusion, maybe I don't have clear ideas yet, or rather I know what I need but I don't know what to sacrifice with one or the other model. Do you have any advice to give me that in case I have not taken into account?

PS. I don't consider the first series of nikon z because of the xqd cards that cost a lot and for time lapse I would need several and I would compensate the price gap with the second version, also the first version can not even be recharged via usb-c while it is on which is very useful for timelapse. I also do not consider other brands such as canon, fuji, or panasonic.
#3 jedfromnz
Hey man My D750 just rolled into a lake over the weekend as my dog collected the tripod and it mid timelapse ?‍♂️
But I’ll be moving to a Z6ii ideally or Z5 as they would both fill my needs, which is SD card slot like you and the other biggie USB PD for long run times in the cold.
I run a Tamron 35mm f1.4
Tamron 70-210 f4
Sigma 14mm f1.8
So I can adapt them and use until the Nikon line fills out. The 35mm went swimming so I’ll be grabbing the Nikon 50mm Z 1.8.
Sony never really was an option as I’ve got those existing lenses that do the job and costly to change.
When it turns up I’ll let ya know how it all goes.
It is an expensive shift to wholesale change brands.
I guess does Sony offer up a lot more value for what you need currently???
If so then maybe it’s time to move on.
Here in NZ an A7r3 is the same price practically as the newer Z6ii. But again I’m not after the crazy 8k scene.
6K TL is pretty rad still ?
#4 jedfromnz
Oh also the Z5 is practically the mirrorless D750 which you’ve probably figured out and I found that thing awesome for my needs until it went swimming ?
#5 jedfromnz
Shit forgot to say you can get the Laowa 15mm f2 for the Z mount. Had a play with one in store the other day and it was a cool bit of kit. Just over 500gm, all metal construction. All manual focus and aperture. The biggest downside for me and really the only downside is no weather sealing as things get rather damp for us in NZ for milkyway season so it’s a tough choice but looks like a very cool option. All for $1600 nzd
Half the weight of my sigma 14mm f1.8

...also check out: