• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deflickr and exposure jumps?

#1 chrissearle
I have a sequence of 500+ images - and the ISO jumps 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 during the run.

I ran thru the normal sequence - and got

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102984/%C3%B8yungen.mp4

Note the exposure jumps (4 of them) - they correspond to where the ISO was changed.

Started again - did the initialize, reference, keyframes wiz, save (this is LRT 2.0.1 btw)

In LR (4.1) - Edited first frame (exposure, tone curve and clarity) and moved the existing crop (just a move of which part of the photo was in focus.

Sync'd settings to all keyframed images - moved on down - doing the match exposure at each ISO jump. Here the only change made was exposure (matching over each jump and adjusting the left hand image as you work down the sequence). Saved out the settings and loaded the data back into LRT.

This gives me this image: http://cl.ly/JoH3 which looks as expected.

Then I hit deflickr. Standard settings. I now get: http://cl.ly/JpQF

Note the points marked with the arrows - where the deflickr curves are slightly unexpected (at least to me).

I exported the slideshow without the deflickr option checked - that gave me

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102984/%C3%B8yu...flickr.mp4

This looks far better - far smoother.

Am I missing something about deflickr here? It seems to struggle when you're working with ISO stepping. I have a video generated with the beta for 2.x - that was smooth even when ISO stepped sequence was in use - so I'm a little confused right now Smile
#2 Gunther
Hi, you are totally right, the deflicker curve does not look right. Can you try playing around with the smoothness slider and see if you can get rid of the wrong behaviour? if not I would really like you to send me that sequence (via Dropbox or FTP) if that would be possible.
Note: When using the Holy Grail Approach the two adjacent keyframes must be one directly beneath the other! On the second "jump" I see a blue keyframe as well, that doesn't look right. You might want to correct the keyframes manually (check the table and make sure there are only those two adjacent key frames for each jump) before applying deflicker.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chrissearle
That blue keyframe is an oddity caused by a mistake at the time I was taking the photos.

While adjusting the ISO from 400 to 800 it took a single photo at 500 (with a rapid sequence it managed to take a shot while I was scrolling the wheel - just didn't complete the change in time).

So we have a single frame that's not really an intentional HG jump - but does need to be handled.

So what I did here was let the keyframes wizard find the jumps (in this case it picked the 500-800 pair) and so I marked the last 400 with a normal blue one just to find it again in LR.

What I then did is exposure match the 500 and the 800 - just as if they were normal HG keyframes. Then I backwards matched from the 500 to the 400 (in other words - selected the 500 - then the 400 - then chose match exposures).

If that's not a valid approach for handling the single 500 - then I'd appreciate any hints on a better fix Smile

The weird peaks in the top graph I can get to disappear by reducing smoothing to almost 0 (if I look at the scale on the strength slider just underneath the about 0,5 but at that point - very little deflicker).

I'm uploading a zip file of the sequence. DNG files and XMP sidecars. These are the files as per the "no-deflicker" run - no deflicker applied, therefore no smoothing adjustment either. However - all exposure settings are as I have them here.

The file is 5.8Gb. I'll mail you the link via the forum's send email to user form.
#4 Gunther
Thank you, I'll check everything and then come back to you!
#5 chrissearle
Just curious if you've had a chance to look at this yet ? Wink
#6 Gunther
Yes, unfortunately it seems like you found a bug here. I'll have to look more in detail and then see how I can fix it.

Meanwhile you can user the following work around:

Select each section between keyframes (inkluding the framing keyframes). The easiest way is to select the first keyframe, than hit Ctrl-Shift-Down to select until the next. Now right click on the selection and in the HDR-menu choose recalculate deflicker. If you do this for every section your are fine to go.

[Image: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2088648/web/img...licker.png]

BTW: normally there is no need to deflicker that sequence since it's already perfectly smooth... But thank you for pointing out that issue, I'm still not sure why it happens here and not with other, similar sequences.
#7 chrissearle
(2012-10-05, 15:17)gwegner Wrote: Yes, unfortunately it seems like you found a bug here. I'll have to look more in detail and then see how I can fix it.

OK - that's cool - will use the non-flicker version for now since ...

(2012-10-05, 15:17)gwegner Wrote: BTW: normally there is no need to deflicker that sequence since it's already perfectly smooth... But thank you for pointing out that issue, I'm still not sure why it happens here and not with other, similar sequences.

Yes - but this is still the "learning the tool" stage - nice to see what it does and doesn't do.

...also check out: