• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DNG metadata not seen by Lightroom

#1 johndoogan
Hello,
I cannot get Lightroom to recognise the metadata from DNG files updated by LRTimelapse. It works fine when I use Canon Raw. I am converting the files to DNG in lightroom.
The xml sidecar files appear in the folder as expected but on 'read metadata from files', nothing changes in Lightroom.
I have had this problem since I started using LRTimelpase version 2 and was hoping updates would have fixed it but I still can't use LRTimelapse with dng files.
I have attached a log file and some screen shots.
I would love to solve this problem as I wish to experiment with Magic Lantern DNGs.

Any ideas to try? I am unable to fix it.

I am using a MacPro; OSX 10.9.4, Lightroom 5.6

P.S. This happens on both my desktop and laptop so is it something to do with settings in Lightroom?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   lrtimelapseLog.pdf (Size: 35.4 KB / Downloads: 1)
#2 Gunther
Hmm, this is interesting, I work with DNGs all the time without problems.
Lightroom should read the XMP sidecars, if they are newer then the DNG file's timestamp.

LRTimelapse will use whatever is newer (embedded XMP data written by Lightroom or external XMPs).

You might send me those 5 files, if you want for example via dropbox: https://db.tt/ruJM7rp
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 johndoogan
Here is a link to the dng files I am using: Here is a link to the dng files. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jtb5276aqg6zm...jOM0324AQa

It appears the problem is Lightroom is not recognising the xmp data created by LRTimelpase. I can make changes in Lightroom (for example - add star ratings) and these are shown in LRTimelapse after I click 'Reload'.
But when I make changes in LRTimelapse (for example - add keyframes), click XMP save, then read metadata from files in Lightroom - the changes made in LRTimelapse do not show up in Lightroom.
#4 johndoogan
It is a pity LRTimelapse creates an additional XMP file as a sidecar, part of the idea behind DNG was to have all information within the dng packet. I think this is where the problem is occurring, there are effectively two xml files but in my case Lightroom is referencing the embedded one I think.
#5 Gunther
Hi John,
no, the opposite is true. It's a bad idea to write into original raw files, the side car idea is the better one in terms of consistency and primarily in terms of performance as well. The whole process is much faster, if only 10KB xmp files have to be written instead of 30+MB DNG files. Lightroom and LRTimelapse can handle both. So like I already told you normally you can just work with DNG's without having to worry about that at all.

I've just tried the images that you've sent me, I can work with them like a charm. Maybe you are doing something wrong. A common mistake is to try to write the XMP data in lightroom from the develop module. Please always go to Grid View (G), then select everything, then save/load Metadata.

Please check this thread, your problems are not related to DNG: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-meta...ng-applied
#6 johndoogan
I take your point about it being more efficient to use a dng sidecar file but... These are not original raw files, they are generated from camera raw files. All adobe applications embed the xml sidecar file inside the dng, but create a sidecar xml if you are using the original camera raw files.
And as I said earlier, I can work with .CR2 files no problem at all. It is just that .dng doesn't work with LRTimelapse for me and I can't work it out.
I have checked the link you sent and that is all basic information to me, I do everything correctly. So I still have the problem of dng and LRTimelapse not working together.
#7 Gunther
John, it does not matter, if DNG or RAW. The idea of DNG is to replace RAW. It's RAW data we are talking about.
But I have made my reasons clear I think.

Here is a short screencast where I set up a test with your sequence. Please follow the steps exactly like I did just to make sure that there is no systematic error.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2088...ndogan.mp4

If you can, you could record a screencast for me as well doing this, it would certainly help to find out what's going on.
#8 johndoogan
Thanks for the screencast Gunther - I have done one and posted it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rlgzgbu0cv2mw...ganDNG.mp4

Interestingly, I tried the same test on my laptop last night and the same DNG files worked fine. Something odd is happening on my desktop. Perhaps I will try re-loading Lightroom?
#9 Gunther
That's what I was expecting, some problem with the Lightroom or anything else on your computer.
Please try a reinstall of the latest version and let me know.
#10 johndoogan
I have reloaded the latest version of Lightroom and trashed the old preferences.
I still get the same results.
Some things I have noticed:
When I save metadata in Lightroom, it doesn't update the XMP sidecar file, so it must be just updating it's internal file.
So when I read metadata from files, it is ignoring the sidecar XMP file even if it has a newer timestamp than the dng file.
So.. Lightroom is only reading the internal metadata and can't seem to recognise or read the newer xmp sidecar file.

Don't know what to try next but I would still like to get it working.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

Lightroom 6
gregm
2015-04-26, 09:54
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: