• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DNG Workflow or Not??

#1 chris1322
Hello and thank you for a great product! I have been using LRTimelapse to this point by bypassing the import and convert to DNG. Now, I am working on a project that is going to be quite large!! I am taking a photo every four minutes of a construction site for the next four months and each week install new memory cards in the cameras. This is a lot of images! I must be crazy. Nonetheless, I was wondering if I convert to DNG lossy and create proxies that are smaller than the RAW files, does this speed up workflow? Does it allow me to still export prores files? I am going to need the absolute best quality I can get for my final as this timelapse will be shown on a 42' screen. If bypassing DNG is best, I will hunker down with my coffee over the next several months and just use the RAW through lightroom. Well....DNG or not....I will be drinking a lot of coffee over the next few months!
#2 Gunther
In my opinion you can use DNG lossy for this type of work without problems and have way smaller files that way. With the LRTimelapse importer you can even make the DNGs smaller in size to match your output size. ProRes export is no problem. That's the way I would do it as well.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chris1322
(2013-11-25, 22:36)gwegner Wrote: In my opinion you can use DNG lossy for this type of work without problems and have way smaller files that way. With the LRTimelapse importer you can even make the DNGs smaller in size to match your output size. ProRes export is no problem. That's the way I would do it as well.

I feel like I have watched the tutorials many times, but feel like I am still missing something. When I import via LRTimelapse, I check convert to DNG, Lossy, Create DNG proxies and initialize. Once it is done importing, I end up with my files (.CR2) in my folder and there is also .xmp files in the folder. Within this folder, there is a proxies folder. I import the files into Lightroom and it shows that they are still 5184 x 3456. Where do the proxies come into play? Are they being used as previews to make it go faster? Is there a video tutorial explaining this that I am missing?

Also, when I import into Lightroom, it automatically starts correcting my White Balance. In the camera, I have it set to Daylight and Lightroom automatically changes it and it becomes custom. What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
#4 Gunther
No, the proxies are additionally. Just leave the proxy generation off for your workflow - just convert to DNG on import.

The white balance will be set to a default value by LRTimelapse on initializing. You can set it back to "As shot" when editing the key frames.
#5 chris1322
(2013-11-26, 04:53)gwegner Wrote: No, the proxies are additionally. Just leave the proxy generation off for your workflow - just convert to DNG on import.

The white balance will be set to a default value by LRTimelapse on initializing. You can set it back to "As shot" when editing the key frames.

Ok....just realized my problem. While I thought I had LRTimelapse using the proper location for the DNG converter, I didn't. Now my .CR2 files are .DNG files and this is making more sense!
#6 Gunther
Glad you got it working!

...also check out: