• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DSLRDashboard's LRTimelapse not working properly with external timer and sony a6000

#1 Christoph S
I posted this in the DSLRDashboard forum as well.

I noticed some days ago that the dslrdashboard LR Timelapse module doesnt work properly when using an external intervalometer to trigger my sony a6000 for a timelapse.

So yesterday i did extensive tests with 2 different external intervalometers and also with the NMX timer output.

It works fine when i only do a single trigger and then adjust settings.
But when continuously triggering the camera (for timelapse) the following problems occur:

With dslrdashboard controlling the sony a6000 it is not posible to do any changes in ISO and/or Shutterspeed, neither manually nor in Holy Grail mode. The camera transfers the pictures for review, that works fine. But no setting changes are accepted.
In Holy Grail mode, dasldashboard runs through the frames, say 4/4, but doesnt react when the floating average goes under the reference value. Then it starts to get funny frame counts like 7/4.

I tried the same with my Nikons (D7100 and D800), where there is no problem (tried with wifi and usb cable as well). Everything works as it should.

Has anyone noticed the same problem or even has a working setup with a sony camera when using an external timer and DSLRDashboard LRT module?

Many Thanks!
#2 Gunther
It depends of how your external time works. If it locks the camera inbetween releases (for example triggering the autofocus signal, like some canon timers do) then qDDB has no chance to adjust. Just try another external timer or use the internal timer that qDDB provides.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Christoph S
Hi Gunther, thanks for the reply.

I checked my timer, there isn't any autofocus signal.
The thing which i find odd is that qDDB works fine with my nikon cameras and the timer, just the sony doesnt work properly with the timer.

Also, i am using the new NMX Controller a lot, who's timer works again fine with nikon+qDDB but not with the sony+qDDB.

I used the qDDB timer a lot before, but although qDDB is quite stable it chrased once during a nice timelape and i want to avoid that from happening again.

Anyhow, i also wrote Zoltan about that matter, lets see what he say's.
Since he is working hard on the NMX intergration in qDDB, maybe that problem will be solved with that.

Thank's again and 100 thumbs up for the new LRT 4, it's just great.

PS: I checked the NMX Interval Cycle and there is a focus signal before the trigger, but after that there is a long buffer time where qDDB can do changes on the camera. Or is it only possible right before the trigger?
#4 Gunther
I think Zoltan is the only one who can answer this, I've no experience with Sony, just wanted to make sure that the timer is not the problem. Did you try manually releasing the camera just to fully eliminate the timer from the equation?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: