• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
#1 Karel Bata
Hi folks!

I'm new here, but I feel at home already! My speciality is Stereo 3D HDR time-lapse, so when I discovered lrtimelapse a couple of weeks ago I nearly fainted!

Here's an example of my work

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckYG0OiL-E]

I've read the hdr-timelapse-workflow-question? thread, but the last post was before 1.8 was released, and HDR's not mentioned in your book (which I've bought, and which is really useful!).

Is there anything much to update concerning the new HDR features?

I think anyone new here, like myself, would also much appreciate an updated worflow for HDR users.

So (different subject) am I right in believing I can go directly from lrtimelase to After Effects? Will AE read the XML data?

And do you think I might be able to do so with the new Speedgrade CS6, which has some awesome 3D tools - Speedgrade 6

Many thanks!
#2 Karel Bata
Two additional questions:

① Much as I'd like to work with RAW files, my workflow with HDR means having three times as many exposures, and with stereo that doubles, so I need SIX times as much data for the same length of time as regular time-lapse. :-(

So I've been shooting 3456×1944 (like the video above) and 5184×3456 JPEGs. Is this a bad idea? Should I really bite the bullet and use RAW if I don't want to see flicker or any other artefacting?

And it's not just the workflow - archiving all this data is a problem.

Anyone able to share their experiences?

② Do I need to use Lightroom to do the initial XML thingy? Or will Photoshop do it?

I ask because I'm doing an MA in Stereo 3D and the college has Photoshop installed on their machines, but not Lightroom. I can persuade them to install lrtimelapse, but only because it's free! No chance of Lightroom.

Cheers!
#3 Gunther
Hi - the HDR Workflow in 1.8 is basically the same as in the thread, there must be a tutorial video somewhere as well... Not so many people make HDR time lapse because of the effort needed...

I never did a 3D timelapse for myself, but I'm pretty convinced you could use the same technique with LRTimelapse as for HDR.

I would however recommend to consider focusing on 3D and omitting the HDR approach. It really increases space and time demands and adds a lot of complexity to the workflow even if used without 3D. I only know very few situations where HDR is really needed for time lapse (when shooting RAW). My approach would be another: learn the "holy grail" workflow (I made a a tutorial video as well for this, just search the forum or get my ebook, everything is very well explained there), switch over to RAW - that would give you enough "room" in dynamics, the additional benefit of HDR would be really small.

Then focus on 3D - and please tell me if 3D is working for you with the current approach, I would love to help you in this area, if needed. I would love to hear about your 3D workflow in another thread.

Quote:Do I need to use Lightroom to do the initial XML thingy? Or will Photoshop do it?
You can use Bridge/ACR as well to edit the images. The initial XMP-initialization is done directly in LRTimelapse in the latest versions. Plz have a look at the workflow possibilities at: http://lrtimelapse.com/#tabs-8-0-4

Best wishes
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: