• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Needed working with badly captured footage

#1 taimoor
Experts,

I have a weird situation that I need help with. Im trying to put together a timelapse for a friend of mine. When she captured the photos she made a fundamental mistake. She was shooting in Full manual including manual ISO and during light change (sunset) she periodically changed the apperture as it got darker and darker. This is becoming a nightmare to deflicker as my exposure line has these sudden jumps.

Now... I could go and adjust each pictures exposure, but its something im not looking forard to doing. Can anyone please help me ina better way to fix this. I did try the deflicker, but the change is so dramatic that it doesnt help THAT much, though does make it better....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
#2 Raw Media Studios
(2012-04-19, 22:09)taimoor Wrote: Experts,

I have a weird situation that I need help with. Im trying to put together a timelapse for a friend of mine. When she captured the photos she made a fundamental mistake. She was shooting in Full manual including manual ISO and during light change (sunset) she periodically changed the apperture as it got darker and darker. This is becoming a nightmare to deflicker as my exposure line has these sudden jumps.

Now... I could go and adjust each pictures exposure, but its something im not looking forard to doing. Can anyone please help me ina better way to fix this. I did try the deflicker, but the change is so dramatic that it doesnt help THAT much, though does make it better....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on how much she adjusted the aperture it may not even be worth while to fix. By changing the aperture (this causes flicker to begin with) she also changed the depth of field which is creating another problem. Even if you where to change the exposure (I’m assuming your working with raw files of some kind?) it’s still not going to look so good. Other than using Lightroom, Adobe Bridge or ACR to adjust the exposure it is what it is. Deflicker can only do so much.

The only change she should have made was to the ISO setting a couple of times. Using a neutral density filter would have also been advisable since it was a sunset time-lapse. If you’re looking for a short cut there really isn’t one. Lots of time behind the computer is the only option and it may not be worth it in the end because of the aperture variance. And with out any more details on the shoot that’s about it.

I recommend if she is going to do this in the future that she buy Gunthers book http://lrtimelapse.com/shop/ebook/ which explains in great detail how to avoid flickering in the first place. If you shoot it right you won’t need to fix it.

Also watch this video it might help her/you. http://vimeo.com/26083323

RMS
#3 taimoor
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I know its bad.... although it was only one stop and it was only once... and she went from F8 one stop larger. Anyway... ill try to see if I can take the set of larger apperture ones and lower their exposure and take the lower ones and increase their exposure and then de flicker to see if it works out any better.

Thanks for your advice. Will definitely forward her the links.
#4 Gunther
Hi, the way to go would be the "holy grail" method I explained in the ebook and in one of my tutorial videos. Though as RMS wrote there is no guarantee that it would get perfect, but that would definitely improve things a lot. After the manual compensation of the jumps (Holy grail) you could normaly apply the deflicker.
Let me know if it worked.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: