• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail and Variable ND

#1 24images
Hello,
If I understood correctly, the holy grail process is automatically set as soon as LRT detect any change of stop, shutter speed, or iso in the metadata.
My problem is that I also use a variable density filter. I calibrated it with a professionneal light meter and create a scale of 1/3 stops. So far its the only way I found to have long exposure in daylight to avoid many events (birds, persons, vegetation flickering etc...) in the frame but also to not havo too long exposure when it come to nightlight.
I do several 1/3 stop variations since it is  very hard to have a good estimation of diminution of light and do a continuous variation.
I was thinking to edit the metadata of my pictures with fake stop number to fool LRT.
Is there a more orthodoxe way to do that ? and, if not, wouldn't it be interesting to have this function since I am sure to not be the only one in this case.

Thank you.
#2 24images
Sorry got my answer there :
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-lrti...ariable+nd
I do think that Variable Fader are very usefull if you are carefull on the quality (you get what you pay for) and to not "close" it too much to avoid nasty shading
#3 Gunther
When shooting with the "Holy Grail" approach (changing Camera Settings in M-Mode, either manually or automated with qDslrDashboard) and editing with LRTimelapse to compensate for the small "steps", you'll get easier and more automated to your goal.
Variable ND filtes always introduce artifacts and only have a very limited range in which you can use them.
With the Holy Grail approach, you can use all 3 parameters, Aperture, Exposure and ISO to control the brightness and you will get really smooth results. When automating the ramping with qDslrDashboard you don't even need to touch the camera.
The automation is possible, since the camera writes those settings to the Exif Data. If you use Variable ND, you don't get any info about this in the exif data, so it cannot be evaluated automatically. That's my experience of many years of experimenting and developing techniques for better time lapse shooting and processing. But if you are happy with your approach, of course, go for it!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: