• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail detection not working?

#1 timelapser123
I shot this sequence in aperture priority mode. The keyframes wizard doesn't detect it as being a HG sequence, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I've attached a screenshot.

I deleted all the XMP and LRT files in the directory and tried to start over, but the same problem persisted.
#2 Gunther
There is no info about the aperture available in that sequence. Please use the Lens Tagger from the menu to fill in any value (doesn't matter, just use f/8). Then try the KF wizard again.
Normally you should have got a notice, offering you to tag the aperture in that sequence, maybe you ignored it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 timelapser123
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for your reply. This still didn't work in my sequence for some reason. I'm not sure if it was because it was aperture priority and doing 1/9th EV steps between the full 1/3 stop steps, or because I had previously tried to edit the sequence in LRT3. I tried reinitializing, and even clearing the metadata, and could not get it to assign HG keyframes. I tried using the lens tagger as you suggested, and still was unable to get it to add HG keyframes.

I ended up just using LRT3 to add in HG keyframes with the old wizard, then I saved opened it in LRT4. Once the HG keyframes were there, I was able to use the LRT4 workflow as expected.
#4 Gunther
Sequences shot in Aperture Priority are not "Holy Grail" Sequences, the holy grail approach does not make sense for them!
Just use the visual deflicker only.
#5 xxxx
same problem, seq shot in M, 1/3 shutterspeed changes

LRT4 pro (2015 04 22), visual workflow:
initialized xmp, tagged lense (define aperture), pressed keyframes wizard, holy grail wizard, saved xmp.

Lightroom: read metadata full sequence , toggled between ** and *** pics. brightness jumps still there. LR shows change in shutterspeed, LR applied no change in exposure. Now what? It always worked in LRT3
#6 Gunther
LRT4 is not using exposure anymore for compensation of the holy grail adjustments.
There still might be some smaller differences between the 2* and 3* keyframes, this mostly comes due to inaccurate exif data from the camera. But don't worry - just proceed with the workflow - let LRT create the visual previews, then check the pink curve, it should be much smoother already then the blue curve on the camera-previews. Then you can apply visual deflicker and even refine it in a second pass to get that pink curve smooth.
Check out my new tutorials where this is explained!
#7 xxxx
thanks, Il'd rather not use deflicker to smoothen out the HG jumps. Reasons: 1. time, it just takes a while to create previews for 1000+ pics 2. Deflicker can lead to unwanted results, taking up even more time if I have to batch process several times.

The exif data is correct!

I used the canon software digital photo pro to compensate for the 1/3 jump in exposure and the 2** and 3*** jumps match 100%.
LRT3 also matches the HG 2** and 3*** jumps perfectly.

How does LRT4 calculate those jumps if not with exposure? It's just not working!!!

To use deflicker is no option for HG jumps! IL'd rather use LRT3 than wait the extra time for the previews, when they are not needed. Especially since deflickering might add extra problems and I may end up batch processing the RAW sequence several times.

Please let me know, if you will fix this HG issue in LRT4. I'm back to working with LRT3 for now.
#8 Gunther
HG compensation in LRT4 works like it did in LRT3. It brings similar results, if you do it right. Exposure compensations are now being added to invisible gradients in the background, not to the exposure to give you the freedom to still edit the exposure.

The additional deflicker step will just help to smoothen out effects, that LRT3 was not able to compensate for. If you don't want to use it, that's your problem - but you are certainly missing a big feature then.

Like I already told you - there is no HG issue that I'm aware of. Everyone else is working with the new tools and I get lots of positive feedback. So it might be something on your side that's going wrong. I'm here to help, but I will need more information. For example screenshots showing the curves, a log file etc.
#9 xxxx
Thanks Gunther!

I have a batch process running now and other things to do. By tomorrow I will send you all relevant screenshots, files etc. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong...
So far I only used LRT4 on a sequence without HG keyframes but with some nasty flicker and LRT4 managed to remove it perfectly. So it would be nice to stick with LRT4. More on that HG topic tomorrow...
#10 xxxx
last question, how do I get a log file?

...also check out: