• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail - Exposure changes

#1 grwiffen
Hi Gunter,
In your Holy Grail tutorial you start by saying that you underexposed by a stop, to stop any blown highlights.

I am having issues with exactly this. I usually am shooting sunsets, with possibly cloudy skies, so its challenging anyway.

I am used to taking individual images, for photographs, and will use graduated filters to adjust for the contrast between sky & land, but in my test of time lapse sequences to date, I cannot stop the exposure adjustments being too harsh.

A few questions:

Do you recommend use of ND grad filters? and if so, when would you change them in relation to exposure/speed adjustments?

Do you usually make adjustments equivalent to 1 stop? Again, Im finding the skies blow out when I do this, and while I might blend images in P'Shop to correct this, I can't do that in L'Room.

What are your suggestions on these points please? or anyone else too for that matter.

Thanks
Graham
#2 Gunther
Hi Graham,
normally I use 1EV changes and I rather underexpose. Always shoot raw, then I can recover a lot in Lightroom with highlights/shadows sliders. I don't use grad-filters when shooting, and I never change/remove Filters during holy grail.
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: