• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail Fail

#1 John Wildgoose
Can someone have a look at this and maybe suggest where I am going wrong?

I cannot get the HG to work on clouds and bits of blue sky, there seem to be jumps in contrast and highlight controls, even though the low key parts of the frame are fine.

Here is the video (too big to load here) on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/84144554
It's private so you need a password:

holyGrail

Shooting on a D6 with auto iso
Images are all pre processed in Capture One Pro to get the tones, colour and contrast as I like them, then imported into
LRTimelapse 3 Pro
Lightroom v5
On a Mac Pro

Thanks
#2 Gunther
Can I have a screenshot of the preview with the curves please?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 John Wildgoose
(2014-01-15, 05:29)gwegner Wrote: Can I have a screenshot of the preview with the curves please?

Its OK. It's sorted: Here's the info on the solution, that might well be helpful.

I went back to Capture One Pro (my default editing software for stills, but probably it applies to Lightroom, Aperture etc too). and RESET all the various settings i had made to get the output JPGs as I want them. This is how I normally go with my Timelpase sequences. It works fine when there is no Holy Grail to do.

Once the settings were back to where they were when they left the camera, I went through the HG workflow and it worked fine. It seems to me that LRT got tripped up working with some of the highlight and shadow settings and could not even out the varying contrast tones that result from these small adjustments.

The lesson.
When working with Holy Grail, DO NOT make any adjustments to the images prior to outputting to JPGs for LRT workflow, do these adjustments after you have established the HG settings as per the standard workflow.

I might not have as much subtle control over tone, contrast, clarity etc, but at least I have a sequence that works rather than one I'd otherwise have to trash!

Hope this helps.

I'll post the comparison later this afternoon...
#4 Gunther
Hmm, normally you can do all that in one workflow like I showed it in the Holy Grail tutorial, I always work that way.
What confuses me is that you wrote that you worked with "Auto ISO" - that normally does not make sense, when shooting holy grail.

I suggest you watch the video to get a grip on the HG workflow like it's intended and do it the same way.
#5 John Wildgoose
Capture One Pro is a very versatile RAW conversion tool. For us pro shooters it is the \industry standard', but might be over kill for Tl.

This film was all graded with Capture One Pro.
https://vimeo.com/79841398
#6 Gunther
Probably - but LRTimelapse does not support C1, it needs the Adobe Camera RAW Engine / Lightroom.

Besides that I know a lot of Pros that use Lightroom. But that discussion leads us nowhere... It's like Nikon/Canon whatever. Those are all tools with advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages of Lightroom is the open XMP standard, that allows tools like LRTimelapse to connect.
#7 John Wildgoose
I use Capture one to generate the first batch of JPGs, the workflow from then is all LRT/LR.

Anyway, here's the clip. There is still a bump (when the second plane flies into the clouds) which is annoying, but non abstante, it's a lot better than the first try.

https://vimeo.com/84695199

password is: holyGrail

...also check out: