• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How can I speed up Visual Preview?

Video
#1 Marcos
Dear Gunther,

The new Visual Preview feature is a very welcomed great improvement. Congratulations! Nevertheless, due to the nature of this intensive task, it's a quite slow process. I would like to know if there is a way to speed it up! I have recently bought a new PC to improve performance, including "Visual Preview", but I must say I am a bit disappointed. Would you please let me know how can I speed up Visual Preview?

This is the info of my system:

- LRTimelapse 4.5 private license (Expert Settings: number of threads for Visual Preview creation set at 4 (Recommended 8 in greyed setting LRT Pro required)

- Computer CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700, 3700 MHz (4 cores)
- SSD disk: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device  
- RAM: 32 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Rendering time results of a test made with 500 .cr2 raw files (16 sec. video), Canon eos 5D Mark II (5616 x 3744 px):
• LRTimelapse Loading Time of Raw files : 02:40 min.
• LRTimelapse Visual Preview creation time: 05:43 min.

Many thanks for any advice.
Best regards,
Marcos.
#2 Gunther
LRTimelapse is using 4 parallel instances of DNG Converter to create the previews. This is already way faster than what Adobe offers (only one instance). With LRTimelapse Pro you could increase the number of parallel tasks to 8, but this would not necessarily double the speed. Check your task manager. I assume the processor cores are already quite busy.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 francoisroux
Dear Gunther,

Following on the previous conversation, how would you "instruct" LRTimeLapse Pro to use 8 cores instead of 4 for the preview rendering?

I have a new Intel i7-6900K (8 cores - 16 threads) and it looks like the preview rendering uses only 4 parallel instances of DNG Converter. Is there a way to use 8?

On long sequence (more than 1000 images), it would help a little bit...

Thank you for your help Gunther and thank you for the excellent work you have done with LRTimeLapse Pro!

Francois

====> Found the option in the Setting panel - I have setup the number of cores to 8 and will try to see if the system reacts well with 16 - So sorry about this!

Here are my findings for the preview rendering speed (using the DNG converter): on i7 6900K (8 cores / 16 threads) with 64GB ram:
- It looks like the best option is to set the parameters to 8 cores (when using 16 cores, there is no improvements in speed)
- At 8 cores (instead of 4) the speed is roughly double.
- When using more than 4 cores, the source HDD becomes the bottleneck. Only when I use an SSD, the 8 cores make a difference and are fully used.

Hope this information will help some people Smile
#4 Gunther
Glad you found the option!
#5 aksel.gresvig
Hey guys,

Just getting started with LRT and I have to ask:

It seems Visual Preview only uses 1 core on my system.. During visual preview generation (after hitting Save), CPU usage for LRT usually hovers around 25% which indicates its maxing out only one of my four cores.

I have:
Latest OSX Sierra
iMac with i7 4.0GHz Skylake CPU
LRT 4.7.4, DNG Converter 9.8
Latest Lightroom (CC 2015.7)

Havent touched default preferences in LRT, cpu core usage is at default (4).

Any ideas greatly appreciated, its a pretty slow workflow currently..
#6 Gunther
On mac you usually see the Adobe DNG Converter popping up in the dock. This indicates that several threads are running in parallel. Normally your OS should distribute those to the different cores. Use a task monitor to monitor the processor load for each task, if you want.
#7 aksel.gresvig
Thanks Gunther!

Yes you're right - I see between 2 and 4 DNG Converter icons "cycling through" my dock.. And overall CPU usage is high, so I guess it is parallizing, its just that the LRTimelapse process is not the one doing all the work..

BTW just read your book and got into Timelapse big-time on a recent trip to Sri Lanka. Thanks for all the inspiration!
#8 Gunther
You are right, the LRTimelapse process is mostly idle because it only manages the other threads.

sent mobile via tapatalk...

...also check out: