• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

How to use the video workflow

#1 Gunther
This is how the new video Workflow in LRT3.2 works:

1. Go to the Video Workflow Tab in LRTimelapse 3.2. Import the Video via the new Import Dialog/Video tab. This will generate a JPG sequence, that you will then treat like a JPG timelapse sequence.
  2. Wait for import and the batch initialization that will take place.
  3. Go to lightroom, import that sequence into the lightroom catalog, make sure to use the "add" function, not copy.
  4. You will see that the first image is starred, so the sequence has exactly one keyframe. Normally this is enough for a short video since you wouldn't want to do any ramping.
  5. Edit that first keyframe, hit ctrl-S to save it.
  6. Go back to lrtimelapse, in the second row of the video workflow hit reload, then apply the auto transition and hit save. Using the auto-transition to populate the settings to all frames is more reliable then synchronizing in Lightroom.
  7. Deflicker if necessary.
  8. In Lightroom clear any filters, go to Grid-View (G), select all images and load the metadata from files.
  9. Hit Export and use the LRTExport plugin to export your sequence. This will generate a LRT_** intermediate sequence of JPGs with all edits. Don't confuse this with the original sequence you extracted from the video.
  10. After rendering LRTimelapse Exporter will be launched and generate the video.
In practical use this workflow is very fast and gives you outstanding results because you can use all Lightroom Develop tools for the editing. It's basically the same like the normal basic time lapse workflow.

Download LRTimelapse 3.2 here: http://lrtimelapse.com/download
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 andymarchand
Hi Gunter
I'm using LRT3.2.1 Pro and I'm trying to use the video workflow feature with D800-camera-made movies (*.mov). The option "Convert to DNG" is greyed out on import, and I just get a sequence of very small jpgs (around 350KB). After processing them in LR, they then are saved as much bigger jpgs (around 6000KB) for re-rendering. It seems to me though, that I'm losing visible image quality in this process. Is there a way to convert the Video into DNG in the first step in the pro version and would this maybe lead to better results?
Andy
#3 Gunther
Hi Andy,
unfortunately the quality of the JPGs extracted from the MOV files does not provide more detail. I already extract the best quality that's possible.
The images are then being blown up to 4K when exporting, that's the reason for the increase in size.
It does not make sense to convert the mov sequence to DNG since it would again only be a jpg that would be put into a DNG container then without a gain in quality.
Let's hope that more RAW video recording options will become available with the new cameras in 2014.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 andymarchand
Thanks for the quick answer! I'll stay tuned. Smile

...also check out: