• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

In camera vs external intervalometer

#1 spinalcracker
I looked through several threads but didn't find any info.

Why do you use an external intervalometerr if the camera, a Nikon D600 , has one built in?

Thank you
#2 Gunther
Because the internat interval timer locks the camera for too long to make any adjustments. For static daylight timelapse that internal one works fine, but as I said, it's limited.
Furthermore it only shoots up to 999 images in a sequence, doesn't offer a proper counter etc...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 FableBlue2010
I like using Magic Lantern with my 550D and 7D cameras.

You can set it up for bracketed photos with the time lapse, set a delay time (1sec to 8hrs), and the amount of images to be taken in the session (when doing a bracketed session 1 bracket is equal to one photo).

You can set it up to make exposure(aperture/time) adjustments/holly-grail but I have not played with that all that much so I am not sure of it performance; but I do know when it does adjusts it takes a group of photos and then adjusts for that group.
I have no problem making manual adjust while the time lapse session is progressing/on the fly (time, aperture, white balance, ect...).

If you have a Canon Magic lantern firmware is great, IMO.
#4 TheModScene
Has anyone used it on a 5D Mk II? I have two externals...the emotiomo and a
Wireless one. Mostly for night long exposures but also day with the DP stage one.. I wonder if African skies II was with ML
#5 Gunther
No, I'm shooting on Nikon. So no Magic Lantern. I always use external interval timers (but only wired ones) or the emotimo, despite the fact that the nikons have builtin timers.
#6 Patto01
Can you recommend a good intervalometer for the Nikon D600? I hate to bother anyone about this but I've searched all over and there's not really anything in the way of reviews for intervalometers, in general, and even less for specific cameras. Unfortunately, I can't spend more than about $75.
#7 Gunther
The Pixel-timer is totally fine. I use it all the time.
#8 Patto01
Am I confused? It looks like it will only do 99 shots!? Can it do timelapse HDR? (i.e. set the camera to Bracket and 3 shots/second and the Pixel TC-252 will hold down the shutter for 1 second at each interval)
#9 Gunther
No, you can set it to infinite number of shots.

I don't shoot HDR timelapse so I can't say about that.
#10 Patto01
Thanks a lot. I'll research it more thoroughly but I think it'll work for me.

...also check out: