• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Initial loading of a folder

#1 greg_priestley
Hi

I'd like to propose a change in the way the initial "mean" exposure value is calculated and the exposure graph is generated on the preview screen after a folder is loaded.

At present you select a folder, LRT then goes through the "Loading Directory" and then "Transaferring EXIF to XMP" processes, and once this is all done, it then calculates the "mean" exposure value and plots this on a graph on the preview screen.

At present the calculation is linear and starts at the first image and proceeds one after another until the end (although it will calculate other values if you manually select an image). Unfortunately this means you have to wait until its almost finished to see what the exposure curve is doing at the end (for me this is when daylight is typically blowing out).

I'd love if the building of the mean exposure was interlaced whereby it initially calculate the value for every, say, 25th image in the sequence and then every 10th image and then every 5th and then the rest for instance (or do it with prime numbers so you don't have collissions (eg 23, 11, 5). This would at least give you a feeling for the resulting exposure graph very early on without having to wait for every frame to be processed and enable you to hone in on where you are likely to be putting keyframes based on sudden exposure changes (eg dawn). You could then select around where you're guessing a keyframe is and continue working whilst it grinds through the rest in the background.

Thanks
Greg
#2 Gunther
Hi Greg,
that's a good idea, I will think about it!
Best,
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Gunther
Will be implemented into the next version.
#4 drevil75
Hello Gunther,

this Step supports no Multi-Core right?
I have a Mac Pro (6Core) and the Performance in this Step is very poor.

Is there a Multi-Core-Support possible too?

Kind Regards
#5 Gunther
LRTimleapse scales well and supports multi cores. There is not much waiting on my system due to LRTimelapse, I mostly wait for Lightroom. Just make sure to use the LRTimeapse importer, then most of the jobs preparations (previews, initializing) will already be done when the import is finished.
#6 drevil75
Mmmm. The Mesurement/Calculation of the "Main" Exposure Value after the writing of the Exif is the poor Step. What has Lightroom to do with in this Step?
I think i dont understand not really the Relationship between LR and LRT.

I use a simple Deflicker Workflow.
1. Select/Read a Folder - very fast
2. Write Exif - very fast
3. Main-Exposure - very poor
4. Initialize - fast
5. ....

Where is the Connection to LR in Step 3?

Thanks for your Help
Mirko
#7 Gunther
The step you are referring to is the preview generation. This will only take some time on the first time you load a sequence, after this the previews will get stored for faster access. You can speed things up, if you use the LRT importer to import from your card, then the previews will get created while importing.

...also check out: