• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basic workflow with Adobe Lightroom

#1 Gunther
You can find the description of the basic workflow here.

Please watch the tutorials as well.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 RFPhotog
Gunther, I've read your new workflow recommendations but still have questions.

I've got a set of sequences of the same scene but shot under two distinct lighting conditions. One during the day with diffuse daylight. The other at night under artificial light. The WB I selected for the diffuse daylight is fine. The WB I selected for the artificial light at night is off and needs to be corrected. Do I still initialize the metadata in LRT? Or do I make the necessary WB adjustments in LR first, save out the metadata then initialize the metadata in LRT?

Also, I understand your point about editing the first image, syncing to all others except the last and then editing the last differently for creating a transition. If a brightness transition isn't desired/required is that step still necessary?

Thank you.
#3 Gunther
(2012-02-10, 02:34)RFPhotog Wrote: I've got a set of sequences of the same scene but shot under two distinct lighting conditions. One during the day with diffuse daylight. The other at night under artificial light. The WB I selected for the diffuse daylight is fine. The WB I selected for the artificial light at night is off and needs to be corrected. Do I still initialize the metadata in LRT? Or do I make the necessary WB adjustments in LR first, save out the metadata then initialize the metadata in LRT?
Initializing Metadata in LRTimelapse will delete your edits in Lightroom. So please first initialize Metadata in LRTimelapse and than make your edits in Lightroom and synchronize.

Quote:Also, I understand your point about editing the first image, syncing to all others except the last and then editing the last differently for creating a transition. If a brightness transition isn't desired/required is that step still necessary?

If any transition is required you must edit the images differently. Mark the edited images with "one star" in Lightroom than there is no need to synchronize at all. After writing the metadata in lightroom for the edited images you reload in LRTimelapse and hit "auto transition".

Best
Gunther
#4 RFPhotog
(2012-02-10, 11:09)gwegner Wrote:
(2012-02-10, 02:34)RFPhotog Wrote: I've got a set of sequences of the same scene but shot under two distinct lighting conditions. One during the day with diffuse daylight. The other at night under artificial light. The WB I selected for the diffuse daylight is fine. The WB I selected for the artificial light at night is off and needs to be corrected. Do I still initialize the metadata in LRT? Or do I make the necessary WB adjustments in LR first, save out the metadata then initialize the metadata in LRT?
Initializing Metadata in LRTimelapse will delete your edits in Lightroom. So please first initialize Metadata in LRTimelapse and than make your edits in Lightroom and synchronize.

Quote:Also, I understand your point about editing the first image, syncing to all others except the last and then editing the last differently for creating a transition. If a brightness transition isn't desired/required is that step still necessary?

If any transition is required you must edit the images differently. Mark the edited images with "one star" in Lightroom than there is no need to synchronize at all. After writing the metadata in lightroom for the edited images you reload in LRTimelapse and hit "auto transition".

Best
Gunther

OK. I got it to work last night but not completely following your workflow.

I reset all my images back to original and deleted all the XMP files so it was just as if the files had been newly imported into LR. Opened LRT, tried to initialise and got a message that the metadata couldn't be initialised. Went back to LR, saved out the metadata (with no adjustments) and reloaded in LRT, saved then went back to LR and read the metadata from the files (no changes obviously). I went through, made my edits to WB, exposure, whites, blacks, crop, curve, etc., synced as needed, saved out the metadata then reloaded in LRT and did the deflicker process. After saving in LRT and reading in LR, the changes from LRT were applied.

So I had to make an extra step of creating XMP files first even on the unedited images but in the end it appears to have worked.

With v1.7 alpha, it appears that the changes were made to the Exposure setting. Is that the only setting that will be changed in all cases, or will it sometimes adjust other settings too?
#5 Gunther
I really don't know where your problems come from. Normally when you start with images without metadata LRTimelapse can initialize them without problems. You should try to sort out, what's going on there. Open your folder in LRTimelapse, select all images in the table than choose "Metadata -> Initialize" and than "save" that should get you going.
If not, we will have to sort out what is happening there. In that case please have a look at the log file an send me the contents.

The rest of the workflow is straight forward, as described (I updated the description slightly I you are interested)

Deflickering affects only exposure if that's your question. If you make transitions, all changed properties are affected.
#6 RFPhotog
I didn't use the Metadata>Initialize command because the dialogue box popped up asking me if I wanted to initialize and I clicked Yes.

I'll try on a different set of images and see what happens.
#7 Gunther
(2012-02-10, 17:14)RFPhotog Wrote: I didn't use the Metadata>Initialize command because the dialogue box popped up asking me if I wanted to initialize and I clicked Yes.
Normally that should do the same but ich improved the behavior in the 1.7 alpha 3. Maybe you would like to download that before proceeding!
#8 RFPhotog
I've got it done now with a2. I'll be sure to check for the latest update before I do some additional testing. Thanks, Gunther.
Lightroom 6
gregm
2015-04-26, 09:54
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: