• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

interval and exposure settings for clouds

#1 tridiumk
I am having some issues with my TL videos when completed. I am getting a slight jerky nature to the video where the clouds have a gap in the movement as they slide across the sky. I've tried a number of different sequences, but thought todays would be okay.

i used:

- 10 second interval
- 7 second shutter (using 10 stop ND filter and closed f-stop to 22)

14mm 2.8L lens.

Final video rendered in LR TL at both 24 FPS (jerky) and 46 FPS (not quite as jerky).

Using the 180 degree shutter rule, or close enough to it, i thought this would be okay. The clouds werent moving overly fast, but just fast enough that i could see them moving with the naked eye. Is that 3 second gap going to be noticeable? or is it something else i'm doing?
#2 richparry
10 seconds is very long, without seeing your video, that is where I believe the problem is. Good luck.
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#3 c_joerg
(2015-08-29, 16:07)richparry Wrote: 10 seconds is very long, without seeing your video, that is where I believe the problem is. Good luck.
 [size=medium][font=Calibri]I agree…[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Calibri]10s interval and 7s exposure time is o much for fast moving clouds.  This video is made with 3s interval and I think the interval could go to 2s… [/font][/size]

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEHsPb9ENQ]
#4 tridiumk
KInda half answers the question though... ? okay, so 3 seconds is good, but what exposure...? 1.5 seconds, 1 sec ???
#5 c_joerg
(2015-08-30, 06:46)tridiumk Wrote: KInda half answers the question though... ?  okay, so 3 seconds is good, but what exposure...? 1.5 seconds, 1 sec ???

[size=medium][font=Calibri]On the run above:[/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Calibri]ND 3 steps[/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Calibri]F= 12[/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Calibri]Tv around 1/10s[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Calibri]I know the rule will not fulfilled....[/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Calibri] [/font][/size]
#6 seawildearth
I think you are lost a bit with the settings.

Timelapse IMO works best with as wide an aperture as possible and a slow a shutter as possible, within reason given the ambient light conditions. If I shoot at daytime for clouds I ND until I can hit between f5.6 to f8 on ISO100 with an ideal shutter at around 1/30th and a 5sec interval. I shoot for 48fps master clips in RAW 4K and can then convert down for any project clips I may need given the project settings etc.

There's no hard and fast rule on the intervals given that on any day the clouds can be moving faster or slower as dictated by the forces of nature. You can't expect to find one timelapse setting that suits all conditions, it would be too easy. Half the challenge is taking on Ma Nature and winning.

You can get jitter in the video, as shown with your clip by using both too small an aperture and too fast a shutter.

Cheers,
Mark.
"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

...also check out: