• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lense aperture failure

#1 djoubert
We sometimes ask about the question of the possibility of the camera shutter to be able to do hundres of pictures without any failure for a timelapse...,
But it is the same question for the diaphragm of the lens (except manual lens). I have a problem with a 24mm which was open to F8 and which randomly gives me overexposed photos even though the exifs are identical. this failure had already happened to me with a 500mm, and this also happened to a friend. My questions: have you encountered this type of failure? / a repetition brings the objective back to life? / can the twist trick be applied to a Canon R6? other solution ? / THANKS
#2 Gunther
This is called "Aperture Flicker" and there is not much you can do about it. It's not a sign of wear and tear, it's just normal and happens sometimes no matter how old the lens are. It's impossible to predict when it happens it's just that nobody notices it when doing still photography.
Check out this youtube video that I did some time ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnqd4f3Kmk

The good things are:
- LRTimelapse will totally correct any of those effects perfectly.
- Your lens won't degrade when doing much timelapse work. On contrary: it's better to have those parts moving then letting them rest on a shelf :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 djoubert
Hi Gunther, Thank you for yoyr answer,
I was not clear enough,
In my case the lens has really an issue: the aperture expected F8 was time to time loke F1.4 ! not aan aprture flickering... it seems my lens has an issue due to the high number of shoots. I had such an issue many years ago wuth a sigma 500mm . Now it is wirth a 24mm Sigma, and a fiend had the same issue with a 24mm Sigma as well. So I agree that normally lenses are able to do the timelapses job ( since 2013 I did about 700 000 pictures according to the 5 camera I used during this period ) so it seems that a very few people are facing lens issues.
Remains My questions: have you encountered this type of failure? / a repetition brings the objective back to life? / can the twist trick be applied to a Canon R6? other solution ?
THANKS
#4 mopperle
Not being Gunther, Wink
I'm also using a Sigma Lens (Sigma Art 14mm/1.8) on my Canons (6DMII und EOS R), but never seen something like this, where pictures are randomly overexposured like choosing the wrong aperture.
Did you ask your question in a Sigma/Canon Forum? Can you attach or post a link to such a picture (RAW file)?
Gruß/regards

Otto
#5 Gunther
I also never heard of such a case. But I guess, that it's normal that equipment breaks when being used - what I find worse is when equipment breaks when not being used... :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: