• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LightRoom 4 not saving Metadata

#1 schneckc
I've been trying and trying to solve this problem. I am running Lightroom 4 (on a Mac) and just downloaded your trial version of LRTimelapse. I have followed your workflow precisely. I initialize my photos in LRT, define the reference area, and manually select 5 keyframes (following the steps in your Holy Grail tutorial). I save the data and go to Lightroom 4.
In Lightroom, I have loaded the photos, read the metadata, then filtered by stars. The keyframes are appropriately indicated by 1, 2 and 3 stars. I then make exposure, shadow, sharpening adjustments per your Holy Grail tutorial, then save the metadata and go back to LRT.
In LRT, I reload the photos. However, only one of the keyframes (the last one) indicates that any exposure, vibrance, clarity, sharpness and crop changes have been made.
I cannot understand what I am doing wrong. I very much want to purchase the full version, but can't seem to get this to work correctly. Am I missing something?

Thanks very much for any help!
#2 Gunther
When saving metadata in Lightroom, make sure you are in Grid view (G) and have all images selected. Then save Metadata. The fact that only the last images was changed makes me assume that the metadata was only saved for that one.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 schneckc
(2013-01-29, 11:25)gwegner Wrote: When saving metadata in Lightroom, make sure you are in Grid view (G) and have all images selected. Then save Metadata. The fact that only the last images was changed makes me assume that the metadata was only saved for that one.

Thank you for the prompt reply. You have brought me one step closer, but there continues to be a metadata problem. Your comment that the metadata was saved for only the one image helped. For some reason, even if I choose "Select all" in Lightroom, it is saving metadata only for the last selection. I then saved each keyframe image individually in LR, re-imported back to LRT, and the metadata was saved appropriately. I followed your workflow, clicked on Auto-transition, and all metadata for all images was smoothed. I saved metadata.

HOWEVER, when I re-imported into LR to finish the project, only the keyframes contained the edited metadata. The unchanged images had an up-arrow, which indicates "metadata was changed externally." If I click on it, I get a pop-up that asks, "Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings from those from catalogue?" If I select Import Settings from Disk, it reads the LRT metadata. However, I have to select each photo and tell it to Import from Disk. Somehow, LRT is altering the metadata in a way Lightroom doesn't like. Are there changes in the preferences I must do? BTW, I am using JPEGS for this project, not RAW--I don't know if that makes a difference.

thank you again,
Chris
#4 Gunther
That's why I say to go to Grid View! (Hit G). If you are in Development Module, regardless of how much images you select in the lower filmstrip Lightroom will only load/save metadata for one (the currently "most" selected).

The same applies to "Read metadata from files". If you have done your transitions in LRTimelapse and saved there, back in Lightroom you don't have to click on that arrows. Just got to grid mode once more (G), Ctrl-A to select all, then Metadata->Read Metadata from files.
#5 schneckc
(2013-01-30, 19:43)gwegner Wrote: That's why I say to go to Grid View! (Hit G). If you are in Development Module, regardless of how much images you select in the lower filmstrip Lightroom will only load/save metadata for one (the currently "most" selected).

The same applies to "Read metadata from files". If you have done your transitions in LRTimelapse and saved there, back in Lightroom you don't have to click on that arrows. Just got to grid mode once more (G), Ctrl-A to select all, then Metadata->Read Metadata from files.

Gunther,

You are exactly right! I followed your suggestions, and all has worked. I might suggest in your workflow instructions that you add a sentence such as, "You must use Grid View to select all images in order to properly read and save metadata." It may help to eliminate confusion.

Thank you very much! I will definitely purchase LRT!

Best,
Chris
#6 Gunther
Chris, this is written more than clear on my workflow page: http://lrtimelapse.com/workflow isn't it?

"Go to grid-view (G) and select all the images (Ctrl-A)"

Anyway - I'm glad we coud sort that out!!
#7 JACohen
Hi Gunther,

I have a stranger problem. My Lightroom has stopped reading the metadata when it has been changed by LR Timelapse. I am running LR 4.3 and all has been working fine, then one day it would not "read metadata from files", so I rebooted the machine and that worked of a while, but now rebooting doesn't make a difference. I know the metadata has been changed by LR Timelapse as the date on the .XMP files changes.

Any ideas?
#8 Gunther
That reboot strategy sounds really strange. Never heard of such a case. Have you tried deleting all the XMPs and starting over? Does it happen with every sequence? Have you followed my advice above to load / save metadata always in Grid Mode with everything selected in Lightroom? No filter set?
#9 JACohen
(2013-02-08, 19:58)gwegner Wrote: That reboot strategy sounds really strange. Never heard of such a case. Have you tried deleting all the XMPs and starting over? Does it happen with every sequence? Have you followed my advice above to load / save metadata always in Grid Mode with everything selected in Lightroom? No filter set?

I always do everything in Grid Mode so that's not it. I'll try deleting the xmp files and see what happens...didn't think of that Smile
Lightroom 6
gregm
2015-04-26, 09:54
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: