• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LR TIFF Export /RAW shows banding/posterization

#1 martinheck
I'm investigating this for a few weeks now and I just have to conclude this is a LR issue, but I'm not a 100% sure.
I potentially rendered my timelapses of the last couple months in a degraded quality.
Here is the deal:
A sequence at blue hour with a very fine gradient in the sky, perfect conditions for color-banding if the workflow at any point goes into 8bit territory.
Shot on the Sony A7R3 (14-bit compressed raw).

TEST 1: LR Edit with no noise-reduction-> TIFF16bit-> AE (no banding visible, covered up by noise)-> NeatVideo (banding appears after denoise)

TEST 2: LR Edit with no noise-reduction-> RAW (with metadata) into AE (no banding visible, covered up by noise)-> NeatVideo (banding appears after denoise)

TEST 3: LR Edit with strong noise-reduction-> TIFF16bit (banding visible in Photo viewer already)-> AE is the same

TEST 4: LR Edit with strong noise-reduction-> RAW (with metadata) into AE (banding lightly visible)-> NeatVideo (just for testing, makes no practical sense-> really strong banding again)

My conclusion is, that the whole raw-pipeline of LR/Camera Raw is not true 16bit, or that my raws from the camera are not 14bit.
I add the raw files with metadata if anybody wants to try to replicate this problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1duw0d1h0suf...i27Sa?dl=0

Running LR 11.1 (to prevent current issue of exporting crashes) and AE 22.5.0
Timestorm Films | Professional Timelapse Photography
www.timestormfilms.com
Youtube | Instagram
#2 Gunther
I'll move this to the video post processing forum, since it happens with Lightroom only and therefore is no LRTimelapse problem or bug.
Certainly it needs investigation. I'd recommend to file a bug report with Adobe and ask them to investigate or clarify.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: