• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT 5.3.2 will not work on a Mac 12 core computer

#1 javajack
I've only been able to run LRT on my Mac tower up to version 5.2. After that LRT caused my computer to slow down and many, many instances of the DNG converter to grow in my dock. Eventually render files for visual previews turn red and eventually the machine become unresponsive and the power button has to be depressed to hard restart the computer. As you can see by the activity monitor LRT consumes the computer to the point of failure. Before that happened the San drives dismount as computer resources become so low. Reverting back to 5.2 fixes everything and LRT functions fine. I've tried each update since 5.2 as it's released but every version fails on my Mac 12 core where I am running 10.13.6 with 96 gigs of ram.

Here is a link to a short video that shows how the computer fails. I used a screen capture software but eventually resources get so low that the screen capture software fails too, so I was forced to finish the failure with photographs. It would be nice if these issues could be fixed at some point.

The video is 4K, so if you wish to download it you can for a closer look.

https://vimeo.com/373266387
password: time
#2 Gunther
You can set the number of parallel threads in the LRTimelapse Settings / Expert Settings. Choose a lower value there. Currently you have 24, that will trigger 24 parallel instances of the DNG Converter.

Normally the Adobe DNG Converter that's being used for the Visual Preview generation should return after finishing it's task and deliver the preview, if that fails, something like in your case can happen.

Did you Upgrade to Catalina? Catalina asks for permissions for every single Application. If you denied the Access for Adobe DNG Converter for example, this could happen.

Please check the security settings on your mac and grant LRTimelapse and Adobe DNG Converter full access, I've explained how to do this here: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-wil...-and-later
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 javajack
Nothing has changed on my machine and have not moved to Catalina and do not plan to currently. The issues started when I updated past 5.2 and had to go back. The prefs have not changed but I will try reducing the number of threads. They build up to be maybe 200 instances on the dock eventually till the machine fails. Will try that first and see what happens.

When I first reported this you asked me to move away from using the san drive, which is our post house drive system so I purchased a standalone drive system for LRT work. I no longer have a drive that dismounts but LRT still brings the computer down. I will report what reducing the number of threads does.

Thanks,
#4 Gunther
If the instances of DNG Converter stack up to more then you have set as threads in the settings, something is certainly wrong. We'd need to figure out why this is happening on your system, because it's not normal and not happening on other systems.
Maybe the log file can tell me something, please send me the log (info menu) after the problems have occurred (DNG converter instances stacks up).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: