• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT3 holy grail - getting exposure jump between steps

Question
#1 chrissearle
Just back from holidays and LRT3 has come out - nice Smile

Struggling with my second of four timelapses (the first wasn't holy grail).

Open in LRT. Select the holy grail tab. Initialize. Keyframe wiz. Holy Grail wiz. Save

Load in LR5.

Edit first frame - copy settings (all) and paste onto all remaining images.
Select first 2star - then the 3star next to it and match exposures.
Select 3 star - copy settings (all) and paste onto all remaining images.
Select next 2star - then the 3star next to it and match exposures.
Select 3 star - copy settings (all) and paste onto all remaining images.
etc until I reach the end.

Back to LRT

Now - I don't want any other keyframes - so I head to the last row.

Reload. Auto trans Special...

This gives me three options - not sure what they do yet. But the default selected is colours. If I select that one then my first and last frames get 4 stars on next reload to LR5. And there is a distinct exposure hop between 2 and 3 star points.

If I choose default then I keep 1 star on first and last - but I'm still seeing the exposure hop at transition points.

I'm more than a little confused here - sure I'm doing something wrong but not sure what.

Any hints?
#2 chrissearle
Oh - just thought I'd mention - while doing the match total exposure steps - at that point I can't see any jumps either side of the transition - it's only after the final round trip to LRT I see it.
#3 Gunther
The holy grail wizard works a little bit different, can you give me 2 more days to get the tutorial finished?

In short: The idea is that you use the HG-Wizard to do only the exposure matching, turn and shift the yellow curve, check in LRTimelapse until it's fine. Don't edit in LR, don't "Match total exposures anymore". As you said, now the frames match.

Now in the second row create 3 or 4 of that "green" (4*) keyframes.
filter for those with the dedicated LRT 4* filter in the filter list. Now edit thos from left to right, but don't change exposure and copy everything but the exposure from left to right.

After that apply the auto transition only to the 4* keyframes, this will make all other transitions for the 3 or 4 keyframes, but leave the global exposure matchings alone.

That workflow saves a lot of time ;-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 chrissearle
(2013-07-30, 23:52)gwegner Wrote: The holy grail wizard works a little bit different, can you give me 2 more days to get the tutorial finished?

Sure. Will wait for that Smile
#5 spider72
Thanks for tutorials Gunther.

Quick question on "Holy Grail Workflow" tab.

In my case Lightroom almost never matches correctly holy grail left and right side of the jump so I almost always need to correct slightly right side manually after "match total exposures command".

So, since I need to correct "right side" frames of jumps in LR after "save" tab from first line and there is not "reload" button at the beginning of second row of tabs how my altered workflow should look like, as I really like possibilities of "Holly Grail Wizard" button.
I presume that if I will match left and right side of jumps in "basic workflow" and then switch to "Holly Grail Workflow" to adjust overall brightness transition, then most probably hitting "Holly Grail Wizard" button will reset my previous exposure adjustment.
#6 alhare
Has anyone tried a LRT3 Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and Bridge workflow yet?

Are there any significant differences other than that you don;t need to load the xmp data, as per Lightroom?

In terms of editing, at what stage should you apply global processing to the RAWs in Bridge? For example, I apply a basic preset to apply some saturation and vibrance and lens correction to ALL my raws. When should this be done with a LRT workflow-at the start prior to Initializing so that LRT loads the roughly processed raws right at the start and before it applies it's own metadata as you progress through the LRT workflow?

Deflicker-how do you apply de flicker in the HG workflow? There's no deflicker tab in there-do you do deflicker first with the Deflicker tab, then switch to the HG tab and go from there?
#7 Gunther
To deflicker when doing HG, just activate deflicker at the very end on the deflicker tab.
Bridge Workflow is just the same.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#8 alhare
so, on the HG tab that would be after XMP save (row three) and before rendering (either via LR or AE) you would change to deflicker, apply that, and then go on to render?
#9 alhare
The problem I've got which the guys also mentioned above, is that each time you hit save XMP in LRT you overwrite with new metatdata, which is what it's supposed to do of course BUT it also overwrites any global, general processing you'd like applied, such as lens correction, saturation, vibrance etc...so, how/when in the workflow do you apply these global adjustments to your images and retain all the LRT metadata that is also needed to be stored prior to rendering?
#10 alhare
OK, I think I figured it out, so if this helps anyone, then great;

The second row in LRT3 is where you can apply global adjustments to all the RAWs, so to increase Vibrance, Sat and the all important Lens Correction. By selecting just two keyframes under 'Create other Keyframes' you get the first and last frames selected with 4 stars (note the green boxes in the preview at the start and end of the yellow curve). Then in LR or Bridge you select/filter these 4 starred images, then you can apply the global adjustments to each (or copy and paste fro one to the other) and once you reload on Row 3 and apply the Auto Trans special it applies these changes will apply across the span of the key frames (which in this case was the first and last in the sequence and now everything in between).

I'm not sure why these changes to the metadata are not reflected as columns indicatng the various values inputted or in the drop down box above the preview in LRT (I only get exposure...) but that's a minor thing in comparison...

...also check out: