• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mac restarting while building previews

#1 Patrick Bennett
My MacBook Pro keeps restarting during the building Previews process. It is running the DNG converter on about 10-20 images before the entire computer restarts. I've updated to the latest LRT, 5.3.3 and DNG converter, v12.1. It has also restarted when running Lightroom Classic 9.1 so it seems like it could be the RAW converter but I can't find how to make sure that is the latest version. I'm on Mojave, not Catalina. I believe it started happening after Lightroom 9.1 was installed just two days ago, I waited for the all clear signal from these forums before I updated.

Anyone else having this issue or have any clues on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Patrick
#2 Gunther
Hi Patrick, this seems to be a hardware problem on your mac. Maybe thermal issues. LRTimelapse powers on all cores to achieve maximum export speed, if the computer is not really healthy you'll notice it.
You could try lowering the amount of parallel threads used by LRTimelapse in the Settings/Expert settings and then try again.
But you should get that fixed by apple. Try other benchmark tools that put the computer on stress and you might find it also crashing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 cringeguy
Mine crashed too while building previews. Mac Pro 2019 (28-core). The problem is I only have 32GB RAM and waiting my order to upgrade. The parallel threads are bottlenecked by my RAM. It's either I lower them on Settings or wait for my RAM to arrive.

Thanks.
Cringeguy
#4 cringeguy
Update: Reduced threads from 56 to 16 in Expert Settings, and now my mac is not restarting and LR Timelapse visual previews (and deflicker) are running smoothly.
#5 Patrick Bennett
Update: So far it's not a hardware issue (whew!), I installed Catalina, clean install erasing my entire drive, and it all seems to be working fine. I downgraded LR to 8.4.1 just in case. I'll be upgrading to 9.1 today and report back if the issue returns. Thanks for the tips Gunther.

...also check out: