• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Manual bulb ramping

#1 gillaaz
I do Holy Grail shots manually, adjusting ISO and shutter based on the histogram, then processing with LRTimelapse. This is normally fine for sunsets, with intervals of 5-10 seconds.

However I have a shoot coming up where I need to ramp the ISO and shutter, but the intervals are only going to be about 2 seconds. This doesn't give me time to watch the histogram, as my intervalometer sends a signal to the camera about 2 seconds before the actual "shoot" signal goes through - this first signal clears the review on the LCD, so I can't see what's happening.

Any suggestions on how to get round it?
#2 Gunther
2 Seconds interval is really short for a holy grail - even if you use qDslrDahsboard (or any other ramping unit) there will not be enough time to read the image and adjust the camera settings.
So if you really (really?) need to do such fast intervals, you'll have to use the A-Mode and then rely on the visual deflicker in LRTimelapse. But of course there is no guarantee that that would work. Especially to the end the images will get way too bright due to the camera automatics, so by guessing you would have to try lowering the exposure compensation a couple of times.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 gillaaz
Thanks Gunther.

Yeah, I would never normally use a 2-3 second interval for holy grail. It's just that the beginning of the shot will have people moving in it, which we need to see, so can't make the interval too long. But the shot will be going throughout civil twilight, so suspect I'll need to make some exposure adjustments as it progresses.

Thing is, at such short intervals, even if I knew when to adjust the ISO, I don't think I'd even have time to adjust the camera settings, before the next picture is taken...

...also check out: