• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Masking in Sharpening

#1 muslapse
As I know, the Masking effects the amounts of edges/pixels of sharpening.
I set it to around 80 in most post-processing occasions, because lower numbers just increase unnecessary textures/noises.

Therefore, I think it's more reasonable to keep a constant Masking number in LRT.
Only transiting Sharpening Amount should still generate a smooth sequence.

Moreover, I guess in LR there are some settings which have the same principle as Masking.
Maybe there can be an option to treat them differently (as a constant, not transition).
#2 Gunther
You can treat any parameter as contant, just by setting it to the same values across all keyframes. If you leave Masking for example on a constant value, it won't get animated.
That's why the workflow suggests to edit from left to right and transferring the settings from one keyframe to the next with the Sync-Script. This way only settings that you really change across keyframes get changed, all others will stay constant.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 muslapse
Got it.
Last time I only sharpened photos at night in a HG sequence, so I found that the values of Masking were transiting.
#4 Gunther
That's how it's supposed to be :-)
#5 muslapse
I know that's how LRT does.
My point is, if you consider the original theory (that I mentioned in #1 post) of Masking, it should be kept as a constant no matter how Sharpening Amount changes, in my opinion.

Case 1:
Amount 0 Masking 0
Amount 20 Masking 20
Amount 40 Masking 40
Amount 60 Masking 60
Amount 80 Masking 80

Case 2:
Amount 0 Masking 0
Amount 20 Masking 80
Amount 40 Masking 80
Amount 60 Masking 80
Amount 80 Masking 80

Case 2 will also be smooth, and even better than case 1, because Masking value below 50-60 usually makes pictures worse.

I will handle my sequences in this way no matter how LRT does.
If it's reasonable for you, it can be a default setup of LRT, since not everyone knows the detail of each parameter.
#6 Gunther
So why don't you leave masking on 80 for all keyframes then? Then it won't change, but you could still animate the amount value.
#7 muslapse
I do.
That's why I said "I will handle my sequences in this way no matter how LRT does."

The point is,
1. current way (case 1) is less logical. (in my opinion)
2. people who don't know the theory will get worse outcomes if they just let LRT do the transition.

...also check out: