• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Monetize timelapse

#1 Elkaybay
All,

Did any of you already made some money with your timelapse footage?
I understand that timelapses do not sell that well, especially considering the amount of time invested into it ; meaning one should not do timelapse for money.
I'm wondering whether these timelapses with dozens or hundreds of thousands of views on Youtube or Vimeo generate any money to their owners. Would you think it would be through ads, licencing or selling the whole clip? Selling/licensing portions of it through microstock agencies? Or maybe do you think some were realized 'on-demand'?

If you have any experience with the above, I would be interested to hear your stories.

Thanks,

K
#2 Julian Elliott
There is money to be made from stock video footage.

You have various options for trying to earn money from your creations through the various stock libraries.

From what I know:

Getty - the number 1 image library in the World. They also have footage too and the master time lapse producer Geoff Tompkinson was the one that convinced Getty they should take digital time lapse. I'm also a contributor to Getty for the last 4 or so years. I've had a footage contract since last year and have started to see sales ramping up. Currently have just under 400 clips there. Will have a better idea of sales in around 6 months or so time.

Corbis - they take footage but they seem reluctant to actually reply to anyone wanting to join.

Alamy - nigh on useless. You have to submit hard drives to get your footage in the library.

Pond 5 - you submit freely but unlike Getty where you get to choose the license model (Rights Ready or Royalty Free), you are stuck with RF. The plus is that you get to choose what you sell for and they give you 50%. I get sales from time to time but I don't actively contribute anymore.

Shutterstock; Dreamstime; 123RF and Depositphoto all take footage too but the percentage is lower and prices can be pittance.

Any help?

...also check out: