• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multiple crops from the same set of exposures

#1 Bruce VI
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but the search function on this board didn’t return any appropriate responses.

Assume for the purposes of argument, that one has followed all the recommended tutorials to create the perfect holy grail sequence. This individual is happy with the results, and has chosen to use Lightroom to embed all the image metadata into each and every exposure in the time-lapse sequence so that the entire set of original raw files can be stored in a user’s archive and subsequently will not be subject to accessing the Lightroom database for .XMP data regarding each exposure’s unique information. Now that user has a stored archive of RAW image exposures that each contain all the necessary metadata that can be used to reproduce the same time-lapse sequence over and over again.

Now, as I film maker, I must ask.

What happens if, when assembling a video clip from a set of exposures as indicated above, I would like to intermittently intercut a cropped version of that same sequence for a short period of time, and then cut back to the original view?

I would think that Lightroom would need to have the ability to output a new sequence based on the new cropped parameters, but independent of all the rest of the processing .xmp metadata that currently exists.

but how does one uniquely append this alternate information about cropping in each image that would be software independent?

My gut tells me that snapshots are the key to holding this information, but that in it's current state it cannot do the job.

How does one permanently append to an individual exposure's permanent metadata, alternative crop information, and nothing else?
#2 Gunther
Hi, please check out the snapshot function in LRTimelapse (not lightroom) - it will allow you to save snapshots for whole sequences.
It's the small + button on the top right of the table in LRTimelapse. I'm sure this will serve you.

Regarding cropping: I think it would be easier to just render the video in a higher resolution (for example 4K) and then make the cropping in the video processor.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: