• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon Z fc - can't control exposure settings in qDslrDashboard

#1 elreno
Hello there,

I hope you can help me. I never had such issues with my canon cameras.

Since last week I own my first Nikon camera (Nikon Z fc). As you can imagine, one of the first things I want to do was timelapse.
But I can't manage to ramp my exposure. After a little bit of trial and error I found out, that the problem is not the Auto Holy Grail. I generally can't change neither exposure time nor ISO manually. Changing apature and take sample pictures are no problem at all.

my settings:
- camera is in manual mode
- auto iso is off
- exposure compensation is 0
- manual focus mode
- qDslrDashboard V3.6.8 arm 64 is used

The issue doesn't show up with the App Snap Bridge.

I really hope someone have a solution for this.

Thanks a lot
#2 Gunther
You need to contact Zoltan and see if he can implement support for the Zfc.
https://dslrdashboard.info
As much as I like the Zfc the big downside for timelapse is that you cannot connect an external intervalometer.
However, with some input from you Zoltan should be able to implement support for Z-fc, I guess.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 elreno
Hi Gunther,

thanks for the quick answer.
I already posted my issue in the dashboard forum under the error reports, but the post isn't accepted yet.
Maybe I will contact Zoltan directly.

The fact that there is no chance to plug in an external intervalometer is a disappointment which I cannot understand - to be honest, I assumed that this is now standard on every camera.

Maybe there will be a solution or a interface which uses bluetooth (e. g. the motion head will trigger a bluetooth remote device via cable). That would be great. At best without AF-signal.

If Zoltan can implement support for the Zfc I will let you know.
#4 elreno
Hi everyone,

I had a nice little chat with Zoltan and the solution to the issue above is simple.

Years ago someone told me, that I have to disable the host mode in the app. But at time I worked with an external intervalometer. The host mode normally locks the shutter via such an external device.

The Nixon Zfc, like mentioned before, has no input for an external intervalometer an is therefore only controlled via the app (or the internal intervalometer, but I didn't try that yet). Thus you can activate the host mode without major disadvantages.

'The problem is that on Nikon cameras if you want to change a property that has a dial on camera (like shutter, ISO on Zfc) you need to enable the host mode.
Most Nikon cameras only have the Exposure mode and capture mode dials and only for changing those you need to activate host mode.'

Now the ramping works fine as usual.

However, it should be noted that once the host mode is activated, the settings can no longer be changed directly via the camera, but only via the app.

I hope I explained it well enough to help others with the same problem.

Thank you for your help and have a nice day.
Rene
#5 Gunther
Thanks for your feedback! It's for sure valuable for other Z-fc users!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: