• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problems redoing a timelapse in LRT4 previously done in LRT3

#1 ianhey
I would like to re do a time-lapse i created using LRT3 which had a lot of flicker but try it now in LRT4.

I opened LR and the relevant folder. Selected all the images and went "photo", "Develop Settings" then "reset" to put all the images back to their unedited state. Then I opened LRT4 and opened the same folder of photos but it bought them in still with all the adjustments and keyframes from when I made the first time-lapse in LRT3! Why is this?

So I tried something different.

I went back in LR and reset all the images again just to be sure. Then I navigated the folder system in the finder on my mac to find the actual folder that contains all the raw files, I made duplicate of it and renamed it something new.

I then went back to LRT4 and opened this new duplicated set of raw images. But these also already had all the adjustments from my original time-lapse! I next navigated my finder and checked the raw files in this new duplicated folder only to discover that they too also had all the adjustments made to them!

What am I doing wrong?! I thought no adjustments were supposed to be made to the raw files unless they were exported?

Please tell me how I create a new time-lapse in LRT4 using the ORIGINAL raw files?

Thank you

Ian
#2 ianhey
thinking about it more. This was the only time-lapse i attempted to use the 2 stage deflickering from LRT3. Does that process somehow permanently change the raw files?

If so is there a way to get them back?

thanks.

Ian
#3 Gunther
Hi Ian,
just open the RAW sequence in LRT4, to to the "tools" tab and hit "Initialize". This will set everything back and you can start over.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 ianhey
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm away from my computer for next 5 days. I will try your advice when I get back.

Cheers.
#5 ianhey
Gunther
Thanks for your reply. I tried what you said and opened the sequence in LRT4 then tools and initialise. That has not worked. It is still showing the images that have already been adjusted by my first attempt in LRT3.

Also when I do open the sequence in LRT4 after re initialising it the "holy grail wizard" button is greyed out and cannot be selected. I can select the keyframes wizard but NOT the holy grail wizard. Do you have any suggestions why this might be?

I am starting to think that in playing around extensively before in LRT3 trying to get rid of the flicker I have somehow permanently changed the raw files? Is this possible.

Any advice most gratefully accepted

Ian
#6 Gunther
Quote:and opened the sequence in LRT4 then tools and initialise. That has not worked. It is still showing the images that have already been adjusted by my first attempt in LRT3.

I don't understand - of course the images are still there, but the curves should be flat now and the values in the table should have been reset, and the columns disappear.

After the initialization, of course the holy grail wizard is disabled, because there are no holy grail keyframes in that sequence. After you used the keyframes wizard, if it is a holy grail sequence (where you changes exposure/iso in M-Mode), the orange HG-Keyframes will appear and the HG-Wizard will be enabled.
#7 ianhey

Gunther
Please see attached screen shot that shows after opening the selection and applying the keyframes wizard that the Holy grail wizard is still greyed out even though the columns show that there are many changes in shutter speed.

Don't wish to drag this on, might just have to accept that I am not going to be able to smooth this TL out. Not the end of the world

thanks

Ian
#8 Gunther
Hi Ian,
the Holy Grail wizard is only for sequences shot in M-Mode, using the holy grail technique. Your's has been most likely shot in A mode, LRTimelapse detects that and turns off the Holy Grail Wizard then because it is not necessary for this - just use the visual deflicker, that's how it's meant to be.
#9 ianhey
Gunther

Ah thanks. Its nice to clear that up. I usually shoot all my TL's in M mode but the tricky location of the camera (up a comms tower) and the early time of day precluded me being able to get to it regularly enough to change the settings manually. I hoped that setting it to A priority I would be able to take advantage of the advanced smoothing features to get a better result. I processed it in LRT3 with deflicker but it was still quite noticeable at the start. I did not realise that using A priority precludes using the holy grail. Is there a reason for that? Surely me changing the settings manually multiple times to keep the exposure correct during a day-night is much the same as the camera doing it automatically?

Thanks for your time answering my questions. Much appreciated.

Ian
#10 Gunther
The reason is, that the Holy Grail Wizard needs discrete changes (1/3 stop and bigger) in Shutter Speed/ISO/Aperture and will compensate those. It will use Exif data for this and relies on the camera writing this accurately.
In A mode however, the camera does not make discrete because it but mostly adjusts the values rather continuously - but the exif data does not reflect the "real" values then, but rounded ones. So the HG Wizard would in fact introduce unwanted flicker effects.

...also check out: