• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

qDslrdashboard and Sony A7

#1 MindBend
Is the qDSLR Holy Grail method available for Sony A7S and/or A7R? I can connect to both cameras, but can't seem to make adjustments. They data shows up, but doesn't change when I try. Thx
#2 Gunther
This question regards qDslrdashboard, I'm moving it to a separate thread in the right forum. Unfortunately I've never tried, so you might have more chance asking the developer of qDDB in his own forum at http://dslrdashboard.info
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 panoramia
Dslrdashboard works with Sony A7, I have tested it. The only issue with LRT module is that ISO, min and Max exposure drop downs do not display the digits so you cannot configure it, but DB changes parameters in holy grail mode.

I have reported this bug to Zoltan on his site but he hasn't answered yet.

Cheers,
Alfonso
#4 MattT
Initial testing shows it to work well in WiFi mode on my A7Rii.

Auto Holy grail worked well. I can select from the drop downs, but can press left or right on the shutter speed, only from the drop down.
#5 DaveHi50
can you give the  step  required  to link your  sony wi fi  with  the  qdslr? I  can't  seem  to  get  this  to  work
 Sony A7r2
I have the latest firmware on my a7r2 and also the latest play memories installed on my IOS. I can connect the camera and take test shots but I'm unable to change any settings within the app

thanks
#6 MattT
Sure, sorry for the delay.

On your camera, go to apps, and load up "smart remote" app.  This will show a wifi connection screen, use your phone / tablet etc to connect to this WiFi network which your camera has created. (press the trash can to show the password).

One connected, load up the qDSLR app, and press the Sony button. Hope this helps.
#7 xxxx
The entire A7 series depends on the playmemories "smart remote" app installed inside the camera to make wifi work. This smart remote/wifi app just doesn't work properly so getting qdslrdashboard to work with Sony A7 series is near to impossible. Connecting qdslrdashboard via usb is not possible either.

Once wifi "smart remote" is activated you'll see a processing message after each exposure for almost 2 seconds. With wifi off, writing/processing speed depends on card only. And that's why qdslrdashboard won't work with A7s because during the time when qdslrdashboard is trying to communicate with the camera, the camera is busy with "processing". With really long intervals, you can change exposure manually through qdslrdashboard. Furthermore qdslrdashboard needs to run during the entire timelapse sequence. As soon as one quits qdslrdashboard, the camera stops shooting. And if the wifi connection get's interrupted, the camera will jump to the exposure settings, which were set at the beginning of the timelapse shot. If you've changed exposure during the timelapse sequence and you lose the wifi connection, then your exposure can be way off and/or you can end up missing frames. In any case the timelapse shot is ruined as soon as the connection is lost or qdslrdashboard closes. So with that in mind the only solution is not to use the wifi connection on A7 cams until the smart remote app gets fixed.

If you wan't to use an A7 for timelapse then use it in the old fashioned way, without wifi, by using an external timer and changing exposure manually.

Sony support knows nothing. They'll steal your time by telling you to update and or reset the camera. They won't acknowledge that the smart remote app is faulty and was programmed by people who apparently know nothing about shooting timelapses. Either that or the the software programmers were paid off by another camera manufacturer to ensure Sony's A7 wont work for timelapses.

I contacted 2 Sony product managers regarding the faulty smart remote app, yet without any response. Sony Support doesn't even know who is responsible for programming the app. So there is no way to report bugs or get anything fixed. Sony shuts itself off from any input that could help fix this problem. I even mentioned that due to this faulty app, Sony is missing out on the market segment of users that shoot timelapses. Nobody cares... There's a similar discussion on the lrtimelapse forum
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-sony...-down-shoo...
and the conclusion was to forget Sony and get a Nikon. So far I agree!

...also check out: