• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RamperPro 3 Frustrations with A7rIII, help!

#1 magicmaze
Hi all,

This is my first post here but I have been following this community for several years. Let me just say that I always really appreciate seeing how helpful everyone is.

I have just gotten back into timelapse shooting after a few years. I have a RamperPro3 from ElysiaVisuals from a few years ago, paired with a Canon 5D Mark 3. I now have Sony A7rIII, and I don't remember the RamperPro3 being this frustrating/difficult to use.

Some basic information: I have updated to the latest firmware (3072 -- the version the ElysiaVisuals website says supports the A7rIII). I connect RamperPro to the camera via a USB-C cable using the RamperPro's USB ports. I have a 20,000mAh powerbank mounted on my tripod to supply power. I always double-check to make sure the light sensor is facing the right direction and is securely connected to the RamperPro.

I have been having a lot of trouble getting the RamperPro to work for sunrises, even though ElysiaVisuals' website says that it should be a trouble-free process. I use PhotoPills to enter in the correct sunrise times, follow Gunther's book on setting up camera settings, and set an initial shutter speed and ISO to start off the sequence. However, for the fourth time in a row, the timelapse is overexposed after the sun comes out. I am not pointing the camera at the sun and the sun is not in the frame. So I believe the RamperPro is simply just ramping too slowly, which confuses me because the RamperPro is advertised as having histogram and brightness analysis to prevent under- and overexposure.

Can anyone please guide me here? I am disappointed as the RamperPro costs nearly 500 euros. I understand that sunrises are some of the hardest to capture and I am willing to persevere through the difficulties, but I feel like I'm flailing here. I tried to join the RamperPro group on Facebook but it appears to be defunct, and there is very little information online regarding the device's setup (only one thread on the TimelapseNetwork forum).

Thanks again for all of you, and thank you Gunther for a wonderful software I have been using for many years.
#2 Gunther
Maybe there are other RP users here, who can help.
I cannot. I tested the RP years ago and really had lots of trouble, maybe that got better with the years (I hope so) - but I don't know, because I didn't use it anymore.
I use qDslrDashboard on a cheap android tablet or phone and it works perfectly for 10 Bucks doing all the ramping that I need. Maybe you would like to give it a go, if you can't the results you are looking for with the RP. I've explained how it works here: https://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/ - it should also work reliably with your Sony.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: