• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAW timelapse on iPhone 6S, 7 onwards

#1 dshipp
Apple has recently enabled RAW shooting for photos on the iOS 10 enabling iPhone 6S upwards to save photos as RAW files. Adobe Lightroom Mobile was one of the first to add RAW shooting to their app but unfortunately it doesn't feature an intervalometer.

I've done some searching at it appears that the ProCamera app has the necessary combination of being RAW enabled and having a built in intervalometer, so it should prove a great platform taking timelapse. The cameras that have RAW mode have a 12MP sensor, the 7 Plus also has the advantage of allowing you to shoot with the 56mm equiv lens as well as the standard 28mm lens. Combining this with a waterproof case such as a lifeproof and a gorrilapod should open up a few options for shooting high quality timelapse that my other equipment doesn't allow for. I'm looking forward to some snow!

I notice that version 9.7 of the Adobe DNG converter supports these iPhone models, so the files should work fine with LRTimelapse/Lightroom.

I should be able to do some tests of this in the near future.

P.S. The GoPro Hero 5 Black has also been launched with RAW photo mode. Exciting times!
#2 Gunther
Yes, but don't expect the quality of those "RAW" files come even near to RAW files from DSLR cameras. I have the DJI Phantom and OSMO and an Android Phone, all shooting RAW files (DNG) it's better then JPG but not even close to what we are used to.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 expomiguelramos
Hi gwegner

I just came to know of the existence of the OSMO and got really curious.
On its website (http://www.dji.com/osmo-mobile/info#specs) there is a video tutorial for timelapse in which, closer to end of it, looks like it can make holy grail timelapse. Do you know if this is true?

Regards

Miguel
#4 Gunther
I have the "real" OSMO (not mobile), and even its image quality is not really outstanding, and personally I would say it does not fulfill the requirements for really good time lapse sequences. It's okay however for quick walk lapses or hyper lapses.
The mobile OSMO in contrast, will only stabilize your smartphone. So you will get Smartphone quality only.
#5 expomiguelramos
Does your OSMO allows shooting in raw still photos so that I can after use LRTimelapse to make a better video timelapse?
#6 Gunther
The OSMO has a different options with different drawbacks:

- Interval Mode -> only 10sec or 30 sec intervals possible
- Timelapse Mode -> normally directly assembles a video, intervals possible from 1sec and longer. For this mode you can activate "Time lapse Mode: Video+Image in the settings - but then the shortest interval will be 2 secs. Images will always be stored as JPG.

So to answer your question: shooting a DNG time lapse sequence with short intervals afaik is currently not possible with the osmo.

...also check out: