• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Save metadata to files - photo is read-only error

#1 paf6169
Hi, I´m new to all this... in any case, I read all about the workflow etc but when I try to save the changes to the Metafiles in LR it says that it can not be performed because the files are read-only. Not sure where there error is, the files are not read-only...
#2 Gunther
Hmm, this is strange. Are you sure they are not read only? Try copying them to another drive and try again. Check the permissions. I've never heard of a case like that yet.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 paf6169
(2013-10-12, 00:52)gwegner Wrote: Hmm, this is strange. Are you sure they are not read only? Try copying them to another drive and try again. Check the permissions. I've never heard of a case like that yet.

I did put them from one drive to another one, checked the permission values but they don´t say read-only... in any case, I will snap a pic tomorrow just to make sure I´m looking in the correct place....
#4 paf6169
(2013-10-12, 01:26)paf6169 Wrote:
(2013-10-12, 00:52)gwegner Wrote: Hmm, this is strange. Are you sure they are not read only? Try copying them to another drive and try again. Check the permissions. I've never heard of a case like that yet.

I did put them from one drive to another one, checked the permission values but they don´t say read-only... in any case, I will snap a pic tomorrow just to make sure I´m looking in the correct place....

Hi Gunther, so here the screenshots... maybe it´s just a stupid mistake or something I´m doing wrong, like I said, I´m very new to this...

#5 Gunther
So for what reason ever, Lightroom is not able to write into your jpgs. The thing with jpgs is, that the Metadata is being written right into the files, not in side car files, like with Raw-Files.
If you are able to use Raw files, I strongly encourage you to do so - it's faster and will giive you more quality.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what exactly blocks Lightroom from writing into your Jpgs.

Did you try to initialize the sequence in LRTimelapse and save there - does that work?
#6 paf6169
(2013-10-12, 19:24)gwegner Wrote: So for what reason ever, Lightroom is not able to write into your jpgs. The thing with jpgs is, that the Metadata is being written right into the files, not in side car files, like with Raw-Files.
If you are able to use Raw files, I strongly encourage you to do so - it's faster and will giive you more quality.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what exactly blocks Lightroom from writing into your Jpgs.

Did you try to initialize the sequence in LRTimelapse and save there - does that work?

ok, I´m glad, I was worried I´m too stupid to follow all your tutorials. I´m just making a few test shoots to play around a little, the thing with raw is the files size. Last weekend I set up the camera all afternoon, 3800 images, my Canon 30D is just 6MP, so a raw file is manageable, but my other camera is 25MP, it´s not easy to manage a large number of files that are so big.

In your program I guess all is fine, I set up the sequence, save it and when I go into LR it does read correctly the metadata saved in LRTimelapse.

I will shoot some in raw and maybe upgrade to LR5 to see if anything changes…

Thanks!
#7 Gunther
Normally you don't shoot 3800 image for a time lapse sequence. Normal sequences have 10-20 secs, so you shoot 300 to 600 images. Raws are bigger yes, but the quality and editing capabilities definitely pay off.

...also check out: