• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setting up MX3 in"slave mode"

#1 bonanzaman
Hello all, I am trying to set up my MX3 controller to halt slider movement during exposures as described in Gunther's
tutorial on Holy grail using dslr dashboard sending the exposure signals to the Nikon D750 via wifi (this part works great!), and the camera signals via the hot shoe connection back to the MX3 to interrupt the slider movement
I gather from the MX3 manual that this involves putting the I/O Input Trigger parameter to "ending". Under "chasing the shutter" - 9.4.3
in the mx3 manual, you are asked to enter the I/O menu and then "select the desired I/O mode". As there are 4 I/O modes , I not sure which mode is the correct one.....modes 1,2 and 3 have a selection for External Interval, but 4 does not.
Has anyone successfully set up the MX3 to do this?? I am in SMS mode, which is of course what I am trying to accomplish.

Suggested settings for the MX3 would be appreciated....unfortunately, there is no MX3 forum online, or I would be asking elsewhere!

Thanks,
Mark
#2 Gunther
Mark, I don't know it too - but I can advise you to maybe just not use that trick that I mentioned there and just shoot normally (without slave mode) and let the camera still adjust the aperture. Trust the new visual deflicker in LRT4, it will take care of any aperture flicker. That's what I do. That article is a bit older from pre-LRT4 times.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bonanzaman
OK, thanks, Gunther...I will continue with my regular procedure..... I was more concerned when doing day/night
timelapses to avoid rail movement during 4-8 sec shutter speeds!

Thanks,
Mark
#4 Cheppe
Am I to understand, then, that there is no one "perfect" setup for shooting a day to night time lapse while using Qdslr dashboard for ramping AND another device to control 3-axis movement? 

I enjoy Qdslr dashboard for its lrtimelapse function but have found it to be unreliable as a shutter release. The app quits randomly mid shoot when using iOS with tplink router and d7100 or d5200. It is also inconsistent with the interval time unless I give it at least 5 seconds in between. Using transcend sd card. I will be trying it with a d5500 and Sandisk extreme pro Sd as soon as it arrives. If I release the shutter with an external source, such as intervalometer, the program works much better for me. With the canon 500d I had no problems. 

Are you coming out with an updated holy grail recommendation/tutorial? I'm interested in a 3-axis controlled system that works in combination with Qdslr dashboard but don't want to invest the money in something that doesn't work.
#5 Gunther
What exactly do you mean with "perfect" setup?
I for myself always use external triggering (mostly from the motion controller, NMX or anthing else, 3-axis) in combination with qDSLRDashboards Auto Holy Grail. For me that works perfectly an normally never fails.

The intervalometer a qDDB is quite unreliable, so that's why I don't use it too.
#6 bonanzaman
Gunther, how can you trigger externally, and still use qdslrdash holy grail? If I am linked to my D750 via wifi
to the tablet, then it is impossible to trigger exposures with anything else, right??

Mark
#7 Gunther
No, why? You will trigger with any external intervalometer connected to the remote port of the camera. Just don't use the camera in Liveview.
#8 bonanzaman
OK, I just never tried it .... so we are back to 3 pieces of equipment:

Intervalometer to run the shutter

Tablet to run qdlsr dashboard for holy grail exposure adjustments

Motion controller for 1-3 axis movement...............

OK, so how do you manage Shoot-move-shoot if the motion controller is not in command of the shutter?
#9 bonanzaman
OK, so thinking this through a bit, I see SMS and interval through the motion controller,
and exposure control with the QDBB 3-way ramping, and let LRTimelapse take care of any
aperture flicker. Now I am back down to 2 devices only, which I much prefer!
#10 Gunther
Absolutely, of course, if you use a motion controlly, you don't need an external intervalometer, since the motion controller IS the intervalometer. It's just important that the camera will be triggered though the external cable.
For the very best results, you should consider hacking that release cable, like I explained here: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/

...also check out: