• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

suddenly have flicker issues when was fine initially

#1 richardwatsonphoto
Hi folks
First post here. I had been enjoying my timelapses over the past year and had some decent results.
Heres some examples of the OK ones - https://vimeo.com/390732159
But suddenly over the last month or so I've been having real flicker issues. I'm actually worried that my shutter on my sony a73 might have died.
the weird thing is when I view the image sequence on back of the camera it looks fine initially but on export its unusable.
no amount of deflicker gets rid of it. I think it may be the shutter/aperture issue I've read about.
I just dont understand why the initial year of doing them was fine then this suddenly started happening.
any help or thoughts would be helpful thanks.
Richard

ps - id post an example of a bad one but dont know how to attach here.
#2 Kmotion
Hi Richard, what an incredible reel, really clean shots. Did you change anything in your workflow or equipment? Different lenses? Do you use a Metabones? What about lens twist method? Flicker can come from so many sources, need to narrow down all the possibilities.
#3 Gunther
Can you attach a screenshot of the camera previews with the blue luminance curve and one of the visual previews after editing with the pink luminance curve?

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 richardwatsonphoto
ok thanks for the replies. before I look to attach anything I tried the same edit today (which earlier turned out pretty bad) but this time opted not to deflicker in LRT. they turned out perfect. So... my question is should you be avoiding deflicker option unless you think its def needed?

gunther - thx for the reply - how do I attach here?

to the other reply - no I dont thing I changed anything. I initially thought it may have been because I used aperture priority on one but todays was all manual settings. I think I recently updated LRT, and only today updated the DNG software - would that have affected things?
#5 richardwatsonphoto
same lens and no adapter. I havent tried the lens twist but will if cant resolve with help from the forum. thanks for your help
#6 Gunther
Nomarlly the visual deflicker does no harm, if you did everything correct, even if there was no flicker before.
Please check my Deflicker tutorial to learn about how to set the reference area etc. - this might be crucial for many shots:
https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/

To attach images in the forum, use the "reply" button here (not the quick reply) - then under post options you can add attachments.
#7 Joningall
Hi, I have been having the same problem. The last two time lapses I have made have had so much flicker that they have been unusable, even after 6 lots of de-flicker set at 35. The first one was shot at night only with fixed settings and the second one was a day to night to day using a Timelapse+ View. I am attempting to re-process the second one at the moment for the third time but on the first two attempts I had a huge amount of flicker in the night sky. It starts fine and the transition from day to night was fine, as was the transistion back to day. But when the light is pretty constant through the night there is a lot of flicker in the sky. Everything seems to be fine until I go to make Visual Previews. At this point, it actually seems to add more flicker. Then, as I say, after applying significant amounts of de-flicker the result doesn't really seem to change. I've made numerous night and holy grail timelapses with LRTimelapse as well as the View but have never had this problem in the past. I'm pretty certain that I'm using all the same settings so I'm not quite sure what's going wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
#8 Gunther
Maybe it's the Lightroom adjustments introducing contrast flicker. Especially non linear tools like dehaze, whites, blacks, shadows highlights in the basic panel might introduce this if used to great extent.
Using the tone curve is much better in such situations. We covered this numerous times here, just use search. There is also a faq covering this.

Sent mobile...

...also check out: